Looking for a Laptop Buying Recommendation

drew23555

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
It's time for me to get a new laptop as my old one is basically dead. For a new computer I would just build it, but that's not happening for a laptop, and honestly when it comes to what is a good laptop, I'm really clueless. So here goes...

1. What is your budget?

Under $1000.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Doesn't matter (although not netbook small). It wont be transported daily, so convenient size isn't paramount.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920x1080 would be ideal. Really any good resolution is fine.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I don't need a desktop replacement. The laptop will primarily be a media center (playing Netflix on our TV), to play games while traveling, and for guests to play games on.

5. How much battery life do you need?

This isn't significant to me.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I would like to be able to play games on the laptop. Some examples would be Civ V, GalCiv 2, Dota 2. Medium settings as an acceptable minimum.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Media center.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Not much. An SSD would be fine, or just a low capacity HDD.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

No specifics. Probably http://www.newegg.com/ and http://www.amazon.com/ as a basis.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3-5 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

People still use these things? Whatever DVD drive is fine. Don't need Bluray although it would be acceptable; don't care about writing.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't actually have any preferred brands to buy from (that's why I'm here asking). I will not buy a Dell simply because I've had 2 Dell's - 1 desktop when I was younger and my last laptop - and they were both terrible. Edit: I also will not buy an Apple product.

13. What country do you live in?

I live in France but I have a family member coming to visit from the US in a month that will bring it from there.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

One additional requirement is Windows 7. I will NOT use Windows 8. I have a few extra copies of 7 that I can install if it's possible to get a laptop without an OS already installed, but I don't want to buy one with 8 (thereby paying for a copy of 8) and then still have to install a copy of 7.

For desktops I exclusively use Intel CPU's, however from some things I've read I've heard that AMD CPU's are quite successful for laptops. If I were going to get an Intel CPU though, I would like it to be Haswell. At the same time, I can see that it might be difficult to find a brand new laptop (would have to be to have a Haswell CPU) that comes with Windows 7. Thus, an AMD CPU would be equally acceptable.

If you have any additional questions or if I can clarify anything, please ask. Thanks in advance for any help!

My general recommendation is the 15.6" Lenovo Y500. Since prices and sales tend to vary by country you can check out if there's any difference ordering from the Lenovo's US site and French site. The configuration will likely be the same if not similar. If it is cheaper to order it in the US, then just have your relative order it for you. If it is cheaper to just buy it from their french website, then do so.

One thing to consider, the warranty is only valid in the country it is shipped to. I am not sure if you can go the Lenovo's US website and have it shipped to France if US prices are cheaper.

drew23555

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

Thank you, I'll take a look at that one now. Generally speaking, prices are significantly higher in France than in the US, so I had just planned on having it brought from the US. I will look into whether it can be shipped here from the US in order to preserve the warranty, but if not then I'll just deal with it.

drew23555

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
So I looked at the Y500 (and the Y510) and honestly, they look very nice. But the problem is just that they have Windows 8 installed. Unless you can point me to somewhere I can buy one that has Windows 7 installed instead, that's just not going to work for me. Windows 8 is a deal-breaker, regardless of how good of a buy the laptop might be.

drew23555

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

I would prefer to avoid a pick-your-components-and-we-assemble-it computer as I've had friends who did that in the past for desktops and they ended up not lasting as long as I would like. Also, the hardware/price at the price range I'm looking at doesn't compare favorably to some other laptops I've considered.