Looking for a laptop for college

hanit banga

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I've filled out the form below, but in brief I want something light, fast which is not a mac.

I'm currently looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834298768 (from the Dell website though, as Free shipping)

Also the left Shift key should not be narrow like on some laptops, that is a deal breaker. And Fn to the left of Ctrl is also a deal breaker.

1. What is your budget?
$800

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
12 - 14 inches (weight is a concern)

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Any

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
>5 hours on browsing, programming

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Mostly development, programming, browsing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
SSD >= 128 GB.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any website that will deliver to California

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No Apple.

13. What country are you buying a laptop in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
First priority - portability, I want something about 1.5 kg (preferably less)
Second priority - SSD
Third priority - Speed (Processor etc.)

hanit banga

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I like this one. I'll have to think on it a bit, but it seems better than the Dell in pretty much every way.

hanit banga

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, the weight at 1.6 kg is acceptable (would have preferred lower but this has an i7), however, the reviews I found of the Ideapad series mention poor battery life. I did not find any reviews for this exact version, and neither can I find this exact model on Lenovo's website. If you can give me some links that would be great.