Looking for a laptop For my girlfriend and I don't know which is the best to choose

pfolsgrofb

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015
So like the title says, My girlfriend broke her old laptop so I took her ssd that I recently put in to it, out and put it into mine, along with her memory, doubling what my old laptop had and gave it to her. The problem is, this laptop is pretty old, so its a little slow, and she doesn't like how its kind of large and heavy. She wants a smaller one to take to school. But with my experience with buying a notebook, it didn't' end up so well. I still have it, Aspire ONE which is maybe 5 years old now, and The damn thing is slower than molasses. So I want her to buy a nice one and I don't want her to make the wrong choice like I did. She wants one with a screen id say anywhere between 11-13 inch. I also noticed nowadays, since I haven't been bothered with laptops since I built my beautiful desktop a year ago, that these new notebooks are only coming with 16-64 gb of storage.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I have 1.5 TB in my desktop, 500gb of that being ssd. I couldn't imagine having less? I guess you could run everything on a flash drive but that seems pointless to me.

Any ways, If someone can help shed some light on this and help me find her a nice, fast, laptop for her schooling. That is relatively small so she can cart it to work and school with ease. That would be great!

Thanks!

Solution
What kind of budget are we talking? Speedy small ultrabooks usually start around 1000.

You clearly don't mind installing parts in a laptop, so if you want more storage, select one with an M.2 slot drive and replace the SSD with a larger one. Or find one which still has a 2.5" drive and replace that with an SSD.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
What kind of budget are we talking? Speedy small ultrabooks usually start around 1000.

You clearly don't mind installing parts in a laptop, so if you want more storage, select one with an M.2 slot drive and replace the SSD with a larger one. Or find one which still has a 2.5" drive and replace that with an SSD.

Solution

pfolsgrofb

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015
(I hate mobile... I always accidentally choose best answer.)
Thanks for your reply. She doesn't want to spend too much more than $400. And yeah that never occurred to me honestly lol. I could always upgrade the ssd.

pfolsgrofb

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015

Yeah I see. Maybe she can pick up one of those ones from bestbuy that only have the 16 or 64 gb ssds. and I'll see if I can upgrade them