Looking for a laptop with a removable battery

miichan93

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
Hi, I'm looking for a 15.6 in laptop with a removable battery. My price range is 500-600$ and I don't want touchscreen. It seems that a lot of brands are going the unibody route, unfortunately. I would like one with either an i5 or i7. I looked at Acer, Asus and HP, but no real luck.

Solution

OK, I get it. Still, I have only seen this feature on (upper-level) ThinkPads, like the P50 in this YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqtJxBJ8hK0&t=112s

At the 3-minute mark, the reviewer flips the laptop over and starts removing panels. If that's what you have in mind, I'm afraid your options are going to be extremely limited. The only other brand I can think of with this design is Eurocom and they are ridiculously expensive!

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

I'm not entirely sure I understand: To my knowledge most batteries can be removed. It may be a delicate, fidgety undertaking involving un-screwing a dozen tiny screws, but it is generally possible. Do you mean swappable/expandable like a ThinkPad P50? That's a rather different price range.

Even in the price range stated, it should be possible to remove batteries, especially in a 15.6" frame.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

miichan93

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016

miichan93

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks GreyCatz! I should have specified. I meant a laptop with a dedicated battery door. Usually there us a switch or button you can slide to pop it out or open the door.

OK, I get it. Still, I have only seen this feature on (upper-level) ThinkPads, like the P50 in this YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqtJxBJ8hK0&t=112s

At the 3-minute mark, the reviewer flips the laptop over and starts removing panels. If that's what you have in mind, I'm afraid your options are going to be extremely limited. The only other brand I can think of with this design is Eurocom and they are ridiculously expensive!

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution
I recommend the 15.6" ThinkPad L560 that starts at $559 with a Core i3-6100. Selecting the i5-6200u for $50 only increases the price to $594 so there is a 30% discount working in the background.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/l-series/l560/

However, there are two limitations to consider:

- Only 4GB of RAM, opting for another stick of 4GB of RAM increases the price to $627. Or another $32. That is actually a good price. It works out to be a little less expensive compared to buying your own 4GB of RAM and installing it yourself.

- It only has a 1366x768 resolution screen. The option for a 1080p screen is $120. However, the actual price increase is only $84. That brings the price up to $710 assuming you selected the additional 4GB RAM stick as well. However, most laptops in your price range only has a 1366x768 resolution screen anyway.

The picture below highlights the latches for the removable battery.

CP82c4n.png

If you want to shave off a little money and also make the laptop slightly lighter, you can opt not to have a DVD. That option states it will subtract $50 from the cost... however in this case the 30% discount works against you since removing the DVD drive will only lower the price by $35.