Looking for a laptop

thecave

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
1. What is your budget? 
Under 800

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 
Sub 15" preferably

3. What screen resolution do you want? 
Anything modern should suffice

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? 
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? 
More than an hour would be nice. I probably won't be using it extensively unplugged and i often prefer to keep the brightness down as well. It seems like all these screens are so bright anymore.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? 
I want to be able to play games. Before you make some unnecessary comment about among laptops being a joke or super expensive, thats not what im looking for. I don't want to play BF3 on max settings at 80fps. Diablo 3 on medium settings at 40 fps or so would be nice though.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) 
General use. Internet, email, some development but probably not anything particularly taxing.

8. How much storage
 (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 
At least 500 would be nice but it isn't really a primary concern.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. 
www.newegg.com
www.amazon.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 
Several years. For my intended use, longevity shouldnt really be an issue. I know that whatever i get will be obsolete for gaming pretty quick, but i honestly don't see myself spending that much time on future games with this. I have an xbox so anything big will probably be on there. The laptop will mostly be for like Indie games and currently existing blizzard games.

11. What kind of Optical drive
 do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I would really prefer something with an optical drive of some sort. I don't need blue ray but dvd would be nice. Im not tied to it all that much however. 

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. 
Love Asus. Will not buy dell or acer. An hp would have to be literally perfect for me to consider it.

13. What country do you live in? 
USA, Florida

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. 
Chiclet or 'island' style keys are a mandatory requirement. It isn't a requirement, necessarily, but i would really like something that is attractive. I've been looking at the Lenovo ideapad u400 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005NHPIW0/ref=mp_s_a_3?qid=1341714060&sr=8-3) which seems to fit my bill pretty closely. Im not sure of the brand though. I mean, I know the thinkpad was and still is a fantastic machine, i just don'tknow if the ideapad line is as reliable. I've heard good things about the u300 but reviews on the u400 are a pretty mixed bag.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Never quite understood this question regarding laptops because 99% of the time I see it answered, the "preferred vendor" doesn't actually "make" a laptop. laptops are made for resellers by a very small number of ODM's.

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP and Lenovo
Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP
Clevo sells to Sager, WidowPC, FalcolnNorthwest and many other boutique brands

For example, if you buy the Asus ya like, it will be made by Foxtconn or Pegatron (same people who make Acer).

I'd suggest Clevo laptop build to your specifications .....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/592609-clevo-guide-v3-0-faq-reseller-info-read-before-posting.html

thecave

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Thanks for the responses, and sorry for the delay getting back myself.

That Y480 looks like a pretty fantastic deal but i won't be able to buy until next week which is after the deal expires.

14" is what id really like, but i will go for a 15 if i see something that fits my needs. That HP deal looks interesting too. I do have a bit of dislike for hp as a company, not necessarily from a hardware perspective though so that could be an option. And if possible i would like to save some money. Most laptops seem to come with 5400 rpm drives which could be a bottleneck on an otherwise speedy system, so upgrading the hdd is something id like to do if possible.

Does anyone have any experience with xoticpc? They seem to have a lot of customization options and fairly decent pricing as well as long as you don't go too crazy. That might give me the best option for prioritizing exactly what i want. Ive never dealt with them, however, so i would worry a bit about their service.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I've heard a ton of reviews of xoticpc... they are supposedly very good with great customer service. I actually almost bought my laptop through them, but decided to buy it straight from the brand name instead.