Looking for a low-cost decent laptop for college.

Frostav

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
I have an old dell laptop for school, but I'm moving into college and this thing is falling to pieces. I don't want a super-massive gaming machine, as I have a homebuilt desktop for that. I hope you guys can help me out, because my current laptop is so slow it's stunning. Using it is the epitome of First-World Suffering.

1. What is your budget?

Exactly $1000, though I would like a little less to get some extra spending money.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15 inches, 13 is too small, 17 is too big.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Doesn't matter.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable, mainly. I already have a desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Anything that can go at least 4 hours when doing nothing strenuous.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

The only games I would play are emulated old-school consoles (N64, Genesis, etc.) and games like Super Meat Boy that can run on anything made in the past 5 years, if I want to play anything more I'll use my desktop.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Possibly some minor music composing--otherwise I mostly write (I'm an author) and browse the web. Barebones really.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Anything above 250GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Newegg and Amazon are my main sites though I'm willing to go somewhere else if the price is lower.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

At least 2 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

A standard DVD/CD drive, nothing fancy. Being able to write CDs would be nice.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I'm mostly open to any brand, but I have had some BAD experiences with HP's and Dells. I would prefer buying from someone more highly regarded like MSI.

13. What country do you live in?

I live in the US.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I despite Windows 8. Windows 7 or bust. Also a decent keyboard would be nice though everything seems to use that godawful chiclet style that my crappy $300 Dell surpassed. Ugh.

Thanks in advance.