Looking for a new laptop and seeking advice

andy6385

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Hi Guys,
Currently I have a Dell Inspiron 5423 and am looking to replace it. I want something noticeably lighter (my current one is approx. 4.1 pounds) and smaller screen size - max about 13.5 inches. I'll be primarily using it to watch videos so want to get the best screen I can. I won't be playing games on it though. I am looking to spend between approx. $500 to $850 Australian dollars. I have had my current one for about 5.5 years and am looking for something I can hopefully keep for at least 3-4 years so am looking to get the best possible bang for my buck.
Here are some models I'm considering:-
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/dell/dell-inspiron-13-5000-13-3-2-in-1-touchscreen-laptop-256gb/559770/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/dell/dell-inspiron-13-5000-13-3-2-in-1-touchscreen-laptop-128gb/954139/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/dell/dell-inspiron-z510835au-11-3000-2-in-1-laptop/954158/

The following is what I wanted to compare:-
1) How do the processers compare?

2) Which has the better resolution, response time and refresh rate? Please advise response time and refresh rates of each device.

3) Which has the better battery life and approx. how many hours of use if only watching videos? Please advise for each device.

4) How do the video cards compare?

5) How much does each device weigh?

6) Would these devices be compatible with my Telstra usb 4g modem (Model MF821)? I bought it about 5.5 years ago.

7) Approx how much free space each device will have .

Appreciate your responses to all my questions and if anyone can suggest any other models/brands I can buy in Australia that would suite my needs I’d greatly appreciate it.
Cheers
Andrew

Solution
Not going to try to answer all of your questions, but just give my opinion. The third one has a low resolution display, and a relatively weak cpu. I would skip the third one. Of the 3, I'd choose the first one because of the far better cpu than the other 2, and it also has the largest ssd of the 3. Hard to tell battery life of each when the capacity isn't stated in the ad. The integrated graphics of the first 2 listed are a mistake. They both have HD 620 Intel graphics, which is pretty good as integrated graphics go.

cpucpu123

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
If you are using the laptop to primarily watch videos, and want the best screen, you should not get a touchscreen. The colours, contrast, and screen quality is worse than a non-touchscreen at the same price point

Not going to try to answer all of your questions, but just give my opinion. The third one has a low resolution display, and a relatively weak cpu. I would skip the third one. Of the 3, I'd choose the first one because of the far better cpu than the other 2, and it also has the largest ssd of the 3. Hard to tell battery life of each when the capacity isn't stated in the ad. The integrated graphics of the first 2 listed are a mistake. They both have HD 620 Intel graphics, which is pretty good as integrated graphics go.

Solution