Looking for a new laptop for games

macaronie

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
1. What is your budget?
Looking to spend around $600-800, but no more than $900.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
No less than 17in

3. What screen resolution do you want?
At least 1600x900

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portability is not important. I take it with me when I travel, but that's rare.

5. How much battery life do you need?
2-4 hours. It would be plugged in most of the time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
World of Warcraft, League of Legends, and possibly other more recent MMOs (Guild Wars 2, etc.) at medium to high quality, or max, if possible. High fps is important.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I use Adobe Audition 3 to record and edit audio, so good speakers would be nice. I also use Photoshop for art.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500GB is good. Any more would be a bonus. 7200RPM.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any reputable site, Amazon preferred.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I'd like it to be good for the next 4-5 years. I don't tend to immediately upgrade to new games or program releases, so I can't imagine my uses changing very much.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
A basic DVD ROM/Writer is more than fine. I rarely watch DVDs, but Bluray or other upgrades on laptops in my price range are nice bonuses.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'd like to avoid HP laptops as I've had some bad experiences with their computers (and laptops) in the past.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

**Backlit keyboard would be a plus.**

I was doing my own search initially and came across these: Dell XPS 17L X17L-3333ELS, lenovo IdeaPad G780. I don't know if you would consider these any good. I'm sure someone may be able to find better.

Thanks for the help!

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Good luck. I could suggest some 15.6" options. A desktop would be a good investment or look for an a8 or a10 with a 7730 or a 7670. It might be in your price range.

Hp dv6z-7000 would be a good laptop to customize in the 15.6" size max the cpu, gpu get a good hdd and up the screen it comes in under the $800 budget. Most "gaming laptops" are 17" but most if not all cost upwards of 1k(and this is the low end).

The lenovo is very subpar. and I cant find the dell xps specs.

macaronie

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

Thanks for the responses! I'll look in to those.

Here's a link for the Dell I found: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KP7BJS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A39QOQB63SPG0D

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Well the dell is ok, it is 11.8 pounds. For the games you listed it should run them but this wouldn't be able to play most non mmos very well. I cant seem to find something like the hp in a 17" screen. I don't suppose you have an os around do you?

macaronie

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

Yeah, the 17" is pretty important. And I could get an OS...