Looking For A New Laptop

Electro_

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Hi, since school is starting, I'm looking for a laptop replacement for my Macbook Pro (2012)

Budget: Around 1,300 USD
Size: 13" - 15"
Form Factor: I would like a portable, lightweight laptop, since I don't want to carry around such a heavy laptop that I have currently. I also have a Gaming PC which means that it doesn't have to be too powerful.
Battery: 6+ Hours of battery life, but I can bring a charger around so it doesn't really matter.
Gaming: I will play some games on my laptop like GTA V, since gaming is not really a top priority, playing at low to medium settings would be fine for me.
Workload: I'm mainly going to use Google drive for school and since I'm taking design tech and music, I think I will be using Google Sketchup and maybe FL Studio, I'm not sure if its intensive or not but I should be using it.
Brands: I don't really have a preference but I would like my computer to have a decent build quality.
Others: I would also ask if you can help me find a computer that has a sleek design, like the Asus GL502, or the Blade 14.
I have considered the Surface but I think that having a better keyboard to type with should be a better option.

Thanks in advance.

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Since gaming is not a priority, it makes no sense to get an expensive gaming laptop. I would recommend the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series, 7559 at ~$800. It also has a sleek design, well atleast according to me.

Key features: Core i5 6300 HQ(plenty enough for FL Studio), GTX 960M(good enough even for GTA V), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 10, 5.6 lbs

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470490982&sr=8-1&keywords=Dell+Inspiron+i7559-763BLK

Since international shipping is not available, I would suggest to find it locally first. If you want more recommendations, feel free to ask.

Electro_

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

Thanks, but I'm trying to find a lighter laptop than the one I'm using right now (4.5 lbs). I like your choice of components but I'd rather spend more money on getting a lighter laptop, the reason being that my bag is too heavy because most of the weight is my laptop.

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
If you want a lighter laptop, you'll get lower end GPUs or even only integrated graphics but I think it should not be a problem for you since you're mainly gonna work. Including the one that dexxterlab97 posted, here are some others:

Lenovo ThinkPad 13
Pros: Great keyboard, great battery life, cheap, 3.14 lbs
Cons: integrated graphics

Dell XPS 13
Pros: Strong performance, great keyboard, good battery life, amazing screen, 3 configurations to choose from, 2.6 lbs
Cons: integrated graphics

Toshiba Chromebook 2
Pros: Very cheap, good keyboard, good screen, 2.97 lbs
Cons: 16 GB storage so absolutely no gaming, integrated graphics

I've chosen these strictly for work purposes. While there are decent laptops that can run games at decent settings, they are mostly above 4.5 lbs.

Electro_

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

Thanks again, I'm concidering the XPS 13, I did some more research myself and I've found the Razer Blade Stealth, it looks like a great option since its very light and it looks really good IMO. But how does it perform against the XPS 13?

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
There isn't much difference between the Razer and XPS 13. Sure, the Razer looks better. The Razer also has integrated graphics if I'm not wrong and it's still bad for gaming.

Electro_

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

Let's put gaming to the side for now, since they have the same gpu, but what about the other aspects?
I mean, they're almost the same computers but how about the build quality of the two?

dexxterlab97

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
half an inch wont make a difference. bezel is important too and it also depends on which razer blade stealth. there are a lot of them out there. XPS 13 has thinner bezel which is good and is also touchscreen enabled. But a hd 5500 will not run gta5 at all. razer has 520.

Electro_

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

In my area, the machines have a $40 difference for my configuration. Let's say I'm going for the XPS 13 256GB and the same amount for the Stealth. They both have the same intergated graphics but the their CPU is different. XPS having an i5 6200U and the Stealth having an i7 6500u. What's the performance difference between them? Is it worth the $40 to get an i7? But having the larger bezels?