Looking for a new mobile workstation

fabious

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
Hello everyone, (sorry for my english :S)
I am desperately looking for a portable workstation that accompany me in the next 3-4 years.
What I state for use Purpose Personal macbook pro 2011... I want switch to PC windows (10).
What month are looking on the net trying to figure it and now is the moment to ask you, certainly more experts than me ...
I list a moment of what I need: a mobile workstation (also a brick is fine to speak of no more than 3 cm thick), with Which Creation and graphic and photo editing (full package adobe), animation (After Effects, C4D and in the future Maya, 3dsmax, Houdini, etc.) and rate video editing (FullHD and 4K) + color correction, etc., ...
What I state title of Business so I'd use it for fun and gaming.
During my research I am focused on a couple of notebooks They are going out to THESE days (already That I rate The expenditure will take one of those new processors Skylake> Maybe Xeon??? Even though I do not understand the difference Seen And What a QuadCore i7 too?!? Does anyone know why? <and Nvidia Quadro and possibly Screen 4K).
I would avoid Those assembled (clevo and company ...).
Notebooks on What I have dwelt Following are the hope and pass replace at least in part of a desktop view of the need for mobility to Which unfortunately are tied:
- Lenovo ThinkPad p50> Xeon 1505M e3 or i7 6820hq> NVIDIA Quadro M2000M (p70 possibly a bit cumbersome because I owe Carrying around all day)
- Dell Precision 5510> Equal to p50 EXCEPT That video card> NVIDIA Quadro M1000M (I do not know come a level of heat dissipation and Performance and design That is so thin... then ...who knows the battery)
-New HP zBook >?> (What though I'm Still More expensive and not normally think offer large differences)
In THESE days and then output the news of Lenovo ThinkPad p40 yoga, released in January (Skylake i7, Nvidia Quadro m500, with Screen QWHD and astonishing pressures of Wacom pen to 2048) What would be the perfect for my graphic work (because otherwise I should accompany One screen with pen or graphics tablet to a surface pro To Other PC) but I do not know if he is powerful enough to withstand mounting 4K and 3D modeling + Animations ... (if I take this then we should assist ONE Screen 4K otherwise it makes no sense Turn I have a video for this resolution then mount-paint it on a QWHD ...)
There are also the MSI workstation series but i don't know...

Which is better choise for you?

Thank you in advance All :)

Solution
I prefer the Dell options myself as HP is typically way overpriced. you don't need xeon cpu. to be honest you don't "need" quadro either, but driver support and colors are better for those chips.

MSI makes good laptops and Lenovo is close to dell as well. as always find best spec for money and determine what spec is minimum for your workload.

you will find all of these options are a massive improvement over a MacBook pro. apple has always had a massive shortfall with selling laptops with underpowered gpu's, and charging similar prices to the HP laptops.

my recommendation

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=xctomp751015us&model_id=precision-m7510-workstation&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

pick the options you want...

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
I prefer the Dell options myself as HP is typically way overpriced. you don't need xeon cpu. to be honest you don't "need" quadro either, but driver support and colors are better for those chips.

MSI makes good laptops and Lenovo is close to dell as well. as always find best spec for money and determine what spec is minimum for your workload.

you will find all of these options are a massive improvement over a MacBook pro. apple has always had a massive shortfall with selling laptops with underpowered gpu's, and charging similar prices to the HP laptops.

my recommendation

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=xctomp751015us&model_id=precision-m7510-workstation&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

pick the options you want like i7 and NVidia 2000m etc... you can fit this with 64gb ram m.2 hdd, secondary hdd's good wifi cards, finger print readers, the customization is unlimited.

Solution

fabious

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
Thankyou for your answer,
i know that apple is charging prices for the macbook pro, especially for the GPU's...
So, the xeon are just a marketing strategy?
For editing 4K video what Quadro card's you reccomend me? the M500 it is enough with a i7 processor?
because, if i have a sufficent power with the lenovo thinkpad yoga p40 i prefer this (because i work a lot like a graphic designer and im just starting with 3D animation > basic level...), but 16gb ram is enough?
The new series of dell are really amazing, now i go to see your link ;)
thankyou

fabious

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
I have see the dell 7510, is amazing!!!
the differences between this Dell and the lenovo Thinkpad p50 is just the ram (in the lenovo i have the possibility to use a ECC ram... is most secure when you render something?).

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
you can get ECC ram with dell too, but its pointless unless your on a server.

I missed you are doing 4K rendering... your gonna want that NVidia 2000m. and 16 gb is enough for now you can upgrade to 32 later if you want.

rendering and video editing are the only things you need lots of ram for but even then 16 is a ton. the dell has 4 memory slots so you get it with 2 8gb sticks then buy 2 more later if you want.

also id get the 4K screen for that laptop if your doing 4K rendering haha

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
A note for ordering with dell. ive always found that you can haggle the price down. if the online quote is $2000 you can talk them down up to $200 on the phone. if the guy you are talking to wont drop the price hang up and call again to connect with another guy and he might get you the deal. this method has saved me hundreds on dell laptops, and every one ive ever gotten is still working today!

fabious

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
Ok thankyou so much! now i understand and i know what i need ;)
hahahah, haggle the price down with a big company like dell is too hard but thankyou! I go to try this surely before i order a laptop!!! :))) If it's work is just a dream for my piggy-bank :p
So, when i work (most editing that modeling 3D) with native video 4K it's ok this pc? is a good replacement desktop?!?
And you can advise me for a better way to use a pen support?
Is better a wacom cintiq external display (or lenovo touch portable display >Lenovo ThinkVision LT1423p) or a more expensive surface pro or something like that? (for work with: adobe photoshop, lightroom, illustrator, indesign)

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
for pen support im not sure find a simple Wacom pad to plug into the laptop SP4 is not close to fast enough for you. you can use the internal display but if you want a better one, don't get touch just grab a 4K IPS 27" or so.

I have a SP3 and it is nice to have the pen support but I would need a much faster computer to do a 4K render with it and you cant use the SP4/SP3 as a notepad with screen for a faster laptop.

Yes this laptop will be a adequate desktop replacement

fabious

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
No, i don't want use a surface pro for replace this workstation laptop, just to combine for works which not require a power of a workstation... so, im looking for a device or a display to combine with this workstation for working with photshop, illustrator and indesign but not for editing (for editing and modeling i use workstation).
thx ;)