Looking for a PC compatible VR Headset

Wicked Recluse

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
Alright, so long story short, I tried VR and I want a VR headset, not for gaming, but for videos/movies/TV. Sadly, most of the 'affordable' VR headsets require a specific phone... I'm not in the market to spend that kind of money, especially with the cost of phones these days... hell, that's damn near a down payment on a house. I digress. So I travel a lot for work, I spend most of my time off work in a hotel room. I picked up the Oculus Go after fruitless searches for a PC compatible VR Headset that wasn't the Rift or Vive and didn't require anything more than my modest gaming laptop to operate. It being standalone really resolved a lot of my concerns. Sadly, I was severely disappointed, not only does it require a smart phone, despite saying it doesn't, but you NEED to set up the app, but they also don't have a browser pre-installed until AFTER initial setup which requires an internet connection. Which means staying in a hotel most of the time, I was unable to connect to the internet due to having to accept terms via a browser. Needless to say, I had to return it.

Now I'm looking for something semi affordable, that I can just hook straight up to my laptop and watch something like Netflix. I was looking at Google Cardboard, but it sounds like it's kinda crap and I've been unable to find a VR headset that can connect to PC that isn't $300+ that doesn't require sensors, and all that crap. All I want to do is hook up a VR headset via my laptop, watch a video and be done with it. Do any exist? Information is lacking to say the least, but it seems aside from the Rift, Vive and a small handful of other overly expensive VR headsets all reaching for 4K or 8K, all the rest requires a phone to use. I saw that some had some work arounds so you can "stream" from your PC to your phone or some crap like that... I'm not super tech savvy so I'd really rather not have to jump through hoops just to do something so simple.

maddoghealy

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015
Hey, the reality of mobile vr is that it will never run that long phone will just heat up rather quickly from my experience. There is the pimax or simular that will be the best fit for what you need. i belive min graphics card is a gtx 960 for the pimax. im not shure wheather the heat issue on mobile vr has been fixed or not but iv played gta5 on my samsung gear with a trial of trinnus vr. Hope this at least gives you some insite