Looking for a rather specific laptop

mrsixes

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
Hi!

So my computer is on it's dying breaths, and I'm in the market for a new one. The problem is... simply finding the specs I need has proved to be a pain.

What I have found is an HP computer which has a great set of specs for a good price. About 800 bucks nets me a quad-core i7 and a full HD, 15'' display in a relatively svelte (1.2'' thickness, 5 lbs) profile. Those are my most important specs, but on top I can manage to get a discrete graphics card and 8 gigs of memory with an open dimm slot.

Everything else doesn't really matter though. Low memory isn't a big deal, since I can just buy that myself or swap some in that I have lying around, and unless the SSD is soldered on, I have my own that I'll swap in. In fact, even the screen isn't a huge deal as long as I can find an FHD on ebay or somewhere that I can replace myself (though I'd rather not...)

Here's my problem: I don't like HP. I have ethical issues with them, and past just that, their customer service isn't always the best. I can handle the build quality, but even then, I'm not a fan.

So, the dilemma is this: there must a company that's selling similar specs for around the same price. I'd even be willing to be up to 200 more, as long as I don't have to buy HP. Anyone have any recommendations?

TL;DR: Need a quad i7, full HD display that is portable (around 5 lbs, less than 1.2'' thick, not HP, and around 1K in price.

Edit: Actual list of specs from this HP laptop:
• Windows 8.1(1)
• 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor(2b)(2g)
• 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD(33)
BrightView LED-backlit display (1920x1080)
• Product weight: 4.81 lb(76)

• Up to 5 hours and 15 minutes of battery life(69)
• 8GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 DIMM) Maximum supported = 16GB
• 750GB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection(4a)

• Hard drive acceleration cache (24GB solid-state drive cache) with Intel® Rapid Start Technology and Intel®
Smart Response Technology.(10)(48)(73)(91)
• NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M switchable graphics with 2048MB DDR3 and up to 1792MB total graphics memory
• Beats AudioTM
with quad speakers, and two subwoofers
• Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric key

mrsixes

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
I'm definitely liking the Y series--I hadn't looked at it before. It seems a bit heavy, but I'm fine with that if it's thin, and it's quoted as being 0.9" thick. The only problem is that the starting price is around 1150.

Any experience with the battery life?

Aleksandar M

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

My friend has it and loves It though he got his for $800... I'll try to find it for you.

Aleksandar M

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Lenovo Y series are the best bang for the buck + they look great and perform just as well. Not to mention they are thin...

mrsixes

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014

The laptops you posted are nice, but are both i5 processors. I *need* a quad core, as I do a good amount of video editing.

Also, after watching a few reviews, the build quality doesn't seem fantastic--there's quite a bit of flex in the keyboard. Any comments on that?