Looking for a solid gaming/production laptop

Dcas

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
Hey everyone, I've been doing a bit of research lately for a solid gaming/production laptop that is within $1,700, give or take a couple of dollars.

I'm currently an audio engineer major in school, so I use Pro Tools, FL Studio, as well as some high end video production software, namely Premiere Pro.

I also am into programming a bit as well as web design, so I'd be running software like Adobe Dreamweaver

Aside from school functions, I'd like to be able to run recent games, although I'm not going to be too anal about graphics settings, I want to be able to run games with no problems.

I've compiled a bit of specs that I would like to see in my ideal PC, which are the following:

CPU: Intel Core i7 (4th Gen) 4700HQ / 2.4 GHz up to 3.4GHz, quad core

RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz

Hardrive: 1TB 7200rpm / 256GB SSD Raid 0

Display: 17.3" 1920 x 1080

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Ports: LAN HDMI Microphone input Headphone/SPDIF combo jack Audio line-out 2 x Mini DisplayPort 4 x USB 3.0

Backlit Keyboard

This is just a preferred generalization of my ideal laptop.

I've done a bit of research on specs, but even more than the specs I'm concerned about the little things.

Specifically whether the drivers are working properly, overheating is an issue, the keyboard is comfortable to the touch, and doesn't have input problems.

I recently purchased an MSI GE60, and the touchpad was very troublesome, even after updating the drivers.

Two laptops I've been looking at are the MSI GS70 Stealth (can't tell the difference between 001us and 002us) and the Zeusbook Ultimate 100. The MSI is also nice because I can use it in a business situation without looking like an idiot, pulling out an obvious gaming laptop, not to mention the easy portability.

Any of your suggestions based on these specs would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Exactly as computernewb said. Same system with only the storage drives being configured differently. The 001US has a 750 GB hard drive and a 128 GB SSD. The 002US has a 1 TB hard drive and two 128 GB SSDs set up in RAID 0.
For the programs you'll be using with your audio engineering focus, I think a either a Macbook or a desktop PC with a better sound chip would suit you better. If you're geared more at getting a Windows based laptop, the GS70 is a nice system (Zeusbook is the same thing; it's a barebones MSI GS70 that Cyberpower customized and made their own). There is one thing, though, and that's the space bar on the GS70'S keyboard: it tends to not respond to input unless you hit it at the center. The design ended up with the object that depresses and registers the key is situated at the center of the space bar, so if you're doing a lot of typing (which I gather you will be with programming and web design), that might be an annoyance for you.

Depending on how portable you want it to be, and just how powerful you'd like it to be for games, the Asus N550JV might be a nice alternative.

roger_melchor

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
http://promos.asus.com/US/G750/
check these out!
I have had multiple people buy these for the use of auto cad revit gaming.
They are a bit big but they have everything you need and cheap for what you get in my opinion.

Dcas

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
Prostar Computer,

I am definitely looking for a Windows system, because Mac cannot do the majority of things I do regarding gaming/programming. Although, I'll eventually get a Mac for strict audio purposes.

As of now, I'm simply looking for an all around computer that can take care of everything I listed in the first post, as well as gaming.

I'll check out some of those Asus laptops that were posted.

I'd really like to be informed of any overheating issues for any of the laptops that are being suggested, as well as again, known driver/mouse issues.

I'll have to look into that keyboard issue on the MSI, thanks.

The GS70 is a really nice system in spite of the space bar caveat. If you have access to a demo unit, I still highly recommend playing around with it to get a better impression. The g750 that roger mentioned is pretty powerful but not very portable (I mean, it's a laptop, but it's heavy and fairly thick).

I'm glad I could offer some insight. :)

Dcas

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
Awesome!

A final thought I'm having is, do you know the difference between a GS70 001us and GS70 002us? Are both models stealth, or is the stealth an all together separate unit?

I find it a bit hard to find the differences when purchasing. (ie. Which one is newer?)

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

they are the same laptop. 002 comes with 2 SSDs in RAID