Looking for Beast Laptop! Under £400

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Gotta love how the 4300 works better at high settings than at medium settings on WoW by interpolation, lol.

Seriously though, £400 is about $650. There is no such thing as a $650 gaming laptop, you will need to shell out at least $1000 (~ £650) for something that decently plays games (it won't be a beast - but it will get the job done on medium settings). I suggested a $1000 model for you, I'm pretty sure you could find a decent laptop for you at $900. Maybe $850. But certainly not $650 (unless it's second-hand in which case it's probably broken anyway).

That of course is unless you enjoy playing in a tiny 640x480 window on lowest settings and still having low frames per second ... your call.

And FYI I'm exaggerating a bit on the last statement, I do own an Intel GMA4500MHD on one of my lappies, and I can assure you it will *not* run GTA IV at all, and will struggle quite a bit with san andreas even on lowest settings. It will be able to max out half-life 2 (albeit with no anti-aliasing since the chipset doesn't support it), and will have decent performance on battlefield 2. Any other more recent game ... no way. It just won't cut it.

Rapist

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I have no extra money on me at all. I guess i3 core HP will do. Should I go buy it? I cant pay more then £430.

Awesome is relative. It has a graphics card. It's the best graphics card you've found near your price range.
If you're counting on it to run GTA it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Core i3-330M CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD is all good. It has a warranty. It has a HD 5470 graphics card that will run some games.
This refurbished laptop has been professionally checked, tested and repackaged. It comes with a reassuring 12-month warranty and offers fantastic savings over the 'as new' price.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Found something.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ETSGIQ/?tag=gadgetsquid-20

$647.99 = £402.87

It's got an i3 processor, a big (but slow) 640GB hard drive, a 1366x768 resolution, 4GB of ram and a 1GB GT 540M video card. Here is its approximate performance, looks like this works for you:

screenshottha.png

***UNFORTUNATELY : Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.****
So perhaps you can find this same item at a reseller that will ship it to UK for a few more pounds to reach £430. The laptop is there anyway and the price is in your budget.