Looking for budget laptop for Excel (financial modeling) and light gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2018
I currently have a HP Pavilion dv6 with an AMD-A6-3400M APU and Radeon HD graphics and 6GB of RAM I've used since late 2011. I replaced the HDD last year with an SSD and it has run well ever since. I recently fried the keyboard with a cup of coffee and instead of putting more money in a nearly 7 year old laptop I've decided to replace it.

I am open to any suggestions but I am primarily looking at these two and would like to know which of them is the better overall laptop:

1) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-320-15abr-15-6-laptop-amd-a12-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-r7-1tb-hard-drive-platinum-gray/6175415.p?skuId=6175415

2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1IO3QW

Official form:

1. What is your budget?
Up to $500.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Physical size is not important.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
At least 1366x768.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
This will almost never been taken out of my home so portability is not important.

5. How much battery life do you need?
This will likely be plugged in all the time at home, so battery life is not important.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I currently play Civ: BE and EUIV occasionally on low settings. I’d like to play Halo Wars: DE once I get Win10. Gaming in not important to be honest.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Web browsing, light programming (R, Python, C#) and heavy Excel use is 90% of what I do on a daily basis. Excel is the most important thing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I have a 256 GB SSD I plan to use, which is plenty.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
See above. Would prefer Amazon since I $91 in store credit that would lower the cost.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD is fine.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Lenovo, HP, and Dell are preferred given my history with them; however, with my budget, I understand my options are limited.

13. What country do you live in?
United States

May 6, 2018

Neither one of those is in production and I'm not interest in refurbished. Sorry I should have stated that in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.