Looking for computer recommendations

Brittany_20

Prominent
Feb 8, 2017
I'm looking into getting a new computer or laptop, I'm not sure if I should go with a Mac or a PC. The main uses will be video editing, animation and possibly gaming. I'm not to the point were I'm willing to buy video editing software so I'm looking for a computer that will have video editing software already. Windows movie maker is my one true enemy, and I don't know if all PC's are equipped with it. I've invested in a pretty decent external hard drive so I'm not sure how much memory I'll be needing for the editing.

As for the gaming aspect I'm not a hardcore gamer. It'll mostly be things like Sims and some online games, but I have an old laptop I can clear that I'd be willing to use for games if I get a Mac.
And animation things...I'll be going to school in the fall for an animation degree. My school of course has computers available for this but I'm unsure if I'll be needing/wanting my own software at home. I'm hoping that the requirements for animation and video editing would be much the same but I'm honestly not sure.

Portability is the only thing I'm worried about, as far as not liking having a computer rather than a laptop. With the gaming aspect I don't foresee much portability needed but with video editing it might be nice to take with me. Same with the animation if I should ever bring it to class with me.

If you have any recommendations for a computer or laptop I'd greatly appreciate the advice!

Solution
Here are a few questions/considerations:

- How much are you willing to pay?
- What screen size do you have in mind?
- Would you like the laptop to stay with you after graduation, or is it just needed for school?

- Windows Movie Maker is an app you download. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it even if you go for a Windows machine.
- Few, if any, laptops come pre-installed with video editing software - at least professional-grade software. If possible, contact your school and find out what kind of editing software they use in their classes (e.g. Adobe PhotoShop). Then check the hardware requirements. Any laptop that can run PhotoShop will also be able to run Sims 4.
- For school work and as a student, you definitely need an...
Here are a few questions/considerations:

- How much are you willing to pay?
- What screen size do you have in mind?
- Would you like the laptop to stay with you after graduation, or is it just needed for school?

- Windows Movie Maker is an app you download. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it even if you go for a Windows machine.
- Few, if any, laptops come pre-installed with video editing software - at least professional-grade software. If possible, contact your school and find out what kind of editing software they use in their classes (e.g. Adobe PhotoShop). Then check the hardware requirements. Any laptop that can run PhotoShop will also be able to run Sims 4.
- For school work and as a student, you definitely need an IPS panel, and I also recommend an SSD.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution

Seaweed Monster

Estimable
Jun 7, 2014
As Grey stated:

- Screen size 15.6 or lower ?
- Budget you are willing to spend
- Decide whether you want a laptop or computer? But looking at your requirements, it's swinging more towards a laptop that has the power to play a couple of games, provide good performance regarding animations, perform basic word processing and multitasking, as well as being pretty light.

Regarding editing software, there are some free ones available but the latest and greatest are unfortunately payable.

I would recommend getting a windows pc as they are better with 3d for animations (if you need 3d for this, if you don't then a mac is ok).

If gaming is needed then windows for sure.

Then comes the price. Some laptops have video editing software included. For example, my desktop replacement came with magix software. These tend to be expensive( over £1000)

Windows movie maker is free so it is easy to install.