Looking for headphones for Gaming / Casual use recommendations

rickyfarquhar

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
Hi so I would have just searched for another thread normally however I wanted to make it personal.

So I'm from Australia so I use AUD and I'm looking for a pair of headphone after using gaming sets most of my life on pc. The pair I used before asking this was a pair of Gamcon 788 and i guess I liked them due to price and they were light on the ears. The headset I'm looking for is a good casual use headphones for gaming, movies and basically all around headphones.

My budget is around $150 and i've been looking on reddit headphones for a while and came to conclusion on a pair of headphones which is a pair of SHP9500 and a Boom mic.

Apparently these have a tonne of recommendations however the total cost is $100 USD which cost around $160 aud including shipping. I'm wondering if there is anyone who owns a pair of these whether it's worth paying $160 for these when I live in Australia? if there are any recommendations or advice about maybe even buying an amp I would love the advice

Solution
Heyo rickyfarquhar

First of all. The SHP9500's are totally worth the price you're paying. A great sounding headphones, which I would compare to Sennheiser's HD650's, but with more treble. Some people really enjoy that aspect off them, however I find them a little too bright for hours upon hours of listening. They're super comfortable and weighs nothing. Might look a little dumb on the head, but whatever. This isn't a beauty contest.

For other recommendations..

I haven't checked prices, only taking this from the top of my head.
A pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40X's. Great headphones as well. Using them myself for transit to and from work. Sound great, however I personally think it's a must to change out the pads with something like the...

TechGuruGames

Estimable
Sep 19, 2015
I recommend the HyperX Cloud Alpha. They provide excellent sound quality and are durable. 7.1 is a gimmick and this headset doesnt have the feature but stereo sound is way better

True Buie

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo rickyfarquhar

First of all. The SHP9500's are totally worth the price you're paying. A great sounding headphones, which I would compare to Sennheiser's HD650's, but with more treble. Some people really enjoy that aspect off them, however I find them a little too bright for hours upon hours of listening. They're super comfortable and weighs nothing. Might look a little dumb on the head, but whatever. This isn't a beauty contest.

For other recommendations..

I haven't checked prices, only taking this from the top of my head.
A pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40X's. Great headphones as well. Using them myself for transit to and from work. Sound great, however I personally think it's a must to change out the pads with something like the Brainwavez HM5 pleatherpads. Sturdy as hell and has great neutrality.

Some Status Audio CB-1's could also be an option. All around a fine headphones for its price. The only real complaint I have about it that it doesn't close underneath my ear. This is not a problem for all people, but one with me. It has fine midrange, good bass response and not too bright highs.
There's also the open-back version of the CB-1's. The OB-1's. Haven't tried these, however I'd believe these would compare to the CB-1's but with more soundstage and a little less bass.

For amps. The Fiio e10k is great little AMP/DAC which will drive pretty much any headphone, which isn't ridiculous with its impedance (600+). Used this myself with my older Sennheiser HD650's and they sounded amazing on that.

Cheers.

Solution