Looking For Laptop ideally around $1750 for gaming/professional use

ronan2146

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
My Top 3 Priorities are : 1) Performance 2) Portability 3) Form. I am in graduate school (law) and will be using this in professional settings so I would like it to not have any of the typical gamer flair (multi-color LED, graphic logos, bright colors etc...) with respect to form. It is going to be used plenty for note taking so a well-built and feeling keyboard is important. I am really looking for something adaptable that will suit me in the long haul.

1. What is your budget? $1500-$2000, ideally in between

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? around 15 inches maximum

3. What screen resolution do you want? No need for 4k

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable but high priority on performance

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Mostly Dota 2 for now but would like something adaptable for the future. High

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Mostly just simple documents and streaming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? As little as 256gb SSD, would like to have an SSD in it.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. So far I am mainly considering the new Dell XPS 15

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as possible lol

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD is fine but none necessarily

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. My previous laptop was a Mac and I found that I personally did not utilize it in a manner that made it worth its price point.

13. What country do you live in? United States

ilikerhinos

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015
(The story below, please don't take any offense, was just brainstorming.)

Do you really need to take notes in 4k, aside from very tiny letters? HDMI can play 4k on a TV/monitor.

Your laptop has 2GB DDR5, this one has 4GB DDR5. Same 960M. It's also ~$800, according to amazon.

HP Omen's are nice, tried one on display recently.

PS
If you're feeling larger than life, enjoy.
Walk up like a boss, sit down, and whip out your laptop with confidence. You'll be taking notes on a laptop costing twice as much than many peoples cars. With little effort, the notes have been taken, and you begin to game on a computer nobody thought twice about. Everyone is awestruck by its capabilities, and exceptional screen size, a whopping 17.3". Only you know the secret within: Quadro K5100M. Rest assured while your friends and family drive places, you have the luxury of riding public transit in style. Gaming on the bus has never been so advanced till now. It's like riding in a limo, a really big limo that has that atmosphere only a diesel engine can provide. People may ask you, why? Why such a laptop? You simply reply, can your car do this? Battery life is minimal, so you always wear your backpack filled with backup batteries. Life is easier when you have a battery. Note taking and gaming on a bus, pioneered by the one and only ronan.

ronan2146

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Lmao I thoroughly enjoyed your story, gave me a good laugh. No I don't need 4k at all, that is why above I answered "No need for 4k". I was kinda looking for something lighter than the Dell you linked. The Omen is nice but I wanted something preferably with a 6th Gen processor and for the keyboard to not just be RGB lit (didn't see an option for clear), too much flair for my use :( . Thank you though for the options!