Looking for laptop with great screen for under $900

RobotAmbassador

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
What is a good $900 laptop with larger screen with good contrast preferably with a touchscreen?

I'm working with a seniors technology program and I'd like laptops that are easier for them to read to address age related eyesight problems.

At first I was going to put the effort into finding a laptop that could support CAD and video editing. I see that's a bit hopeful I'm now researching what's got a nice clear screen.

EDIT: Looks like there are some machines that can handle the graphics editing with 15.6 inch screens and that's enough for us. We won't want to lug around 17 laptops anyway. My guess is the most important part of visually seeing the screen is the size of the screen. We can consider getting an extra computer or 2 with larger screens

This looks like a good option with the upgrades for handling some video editing.
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-2512BLK-Generation-GeForce/dp/B01N2JS6H7/

Not sure how I could possibly know if the screen is good. So much focus on resolution, refresh rates etc which don't matter in this case and the I don't even see stats for that.

Solution

The screen on the new 2017 Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series is awful. It is a downgrade from the older 2016 7000 series. The IPS panel (good viewing angles, but a bit dim) has been replaced with one of the worst TN panel I have seen on a laptop with very poor viewing angles and an even dimmer screen based on video reviews of the new laptop.

There is no option to upgrade the screen. There is a model with a 3840 x 2160 resolution IPS screen, but it is $1,299 and it is not a touchscreen.

RobotAmbassador

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

Yeah I'm not sure what to think of Eluktronics brand. They looked like much better specs and I'm excited to see if they do well. Hard to recommend them to a client without real solid information about how they perform. Guess I should have site searched here about them.

The screen on the new 2017 Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series is awful. It is a downgrade from the older 2016 7000 series. The IPS panel (good viewing angles, but a bit dim) has been replaced with one of the worst TN panel I have seen on a laptop with very poor viewing angles and an even dimmer screen based on video reviews of the new laptop.

There is no option to upgrade the screen. There is a model with a 3840 x 2160 resolution IPS screen, but it is $1,299 and it is not a touchscreen.

Solution

Jeff Baffalo

Estimable
Apr 10, 2014

Bummer. I didn't know about that. What about Eluktronics? I always thought they were another clevo rebrand. It has an IPS display, but I've never seen one in person.