Looking for long battery life and rugged

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I am looking for a laptop for purchase ASAP. It will be used for reference in the field, reading, surfing, limited video, email/journal writing, etc. Performance is not very important. Any gaming will be limited to flash-based, and casual titles.
Obviously, inexpensive is good, but "cheap" is not, as it may be subject to some abuse. I believe that this Lenovo Thinkpad may be suitable, as the business-minded Thinkpad line is considerably more robust than the consumer-oriented Ideapad:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312641

Comments and suggestions welcome.

jaguarskx

Champion
Yeah, I would recommend the ThinkPad T series which is the series known for it's ruggedness. You can buy the now "obsolete" Ivy Bridge generation ThinkPad T models for less money than the Haswell generation T models. The T430 and T530 are both selling for $747; base price.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/

I am considering the T540p for personal use next year.

jaguarskx

Champion
Yeah, I would recommend the ThinkPad T series which is the series known for it's ruggedness. You can buy the now "obsolete" Ivy Bridge generation ThinkPad T models for less money than the Haswell generation T models. The T430 and T530 are both selling for $747; base price.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/

I am considering the T540p for personal use next year.

klausmaartens

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

klausmaartens

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
my personal choice is Lenovo T540p, it is poweful, rugged and long battery life with 9 cell battery. Right now, I am still using my aging T61 t7700 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM 1680x1050 resolution. it has been a real workhorse. I had to replace the screen as the bulb burned out after 5 yrs of use. I also replaced the battery, the original one lasted 14 months, the aftermarket one is still working after 4 1/2 years. I will purchase within a month a new T540p for $1450.00 with super high resolution something like 2880x1600 and all whistles and bells or W540 with thunderbolt port if the price is right (no prices/availability has been released yet) I consider the T series laptops as the Land rovers of laptops, not flashy, square, rugged, a real workhorse. My laptop has gone through so many airports, dropped several times, etc...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
equinox087 Laptop Tech Support 0
P Laptop Tech Support 0
bonkerinno Laptop Tech Support 1
savedlema Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 1
Q Laptop Tech Support 2
RoyalKem Laptop Tech Support 0
W Laptop Tech Support 0
mrmike16 Laptop Tech Support 5
P Laptop Tech Support 5