Looking for new durable laptop

Merlijn

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Hi there,

I am looking for a new laptop with an i5 or an i7 processor with minimum of 4GB of RAM.

If there are any models that are comming out in the next couple of months, I would want to wait for example the i9 processor or Sandy Bridge.

I will be taking the laptop with me on the plane for 2 times a week, so it needs to be quite strong since my last Vaio broke while I was travelling.

Greets and thanks in advance,

Merlijn

1. What is your budget?

Maximum 2500 euro

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14', 15 and 16

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Dont know, as high as possible that fits in my budget ;)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

A mix of both ;) . I will have to take the plane 2 times a week but weight will not really be a problem since it is the only thing I am taking with me.

5. How much battery life do you need?

As much as possible, preferably 4-5 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Programming, website development, MS office, Oracle, listening to music, watching movies, internet surfing, etc

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Minimum 120GB 7200 RPM

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

4-5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Combination of DVD-ROM and writer, also able to write dvd R DL.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Lenovo Thinkpad - Durability, battery

13. What country do you live in?

Switserland

Hello and welcome to the forums :)
Lenovo Thinkpad T410 is a good choice;however,it should give you 3-4hrs of battery life
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?vt=5&GroupID=243&Code=2516A11&hide_menu_area=true&current-category-id=653343E0DE54435882FABC3CE1BC569A
There are 2 other good alternatives.
ASUS U43JC
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-u43jca1-p-2833.html
ASUS U53JC
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-u53jca1-p-2834.html
The main difference between the last 2 is that their screen size(14" and 15") but both will give you more battery life than the Lenovo one.

Merlijn

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Hello, thanks for your reply.

I already have been looking at the T410, it looks very nice.

The Asus also has very nice specs and for a nice price but is the quality of the materials any good?

Merlijn

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
My perfect laptop would be the 15' T510 with the following specifications :

Prozessor: Intel® Core™ i7-620M Processor ( 2.66GHz 1066MHz )
Max Memory: 4 GB DDR3 1333MHz
Screen: 15.6" HD+ AntiGlare 1600x900
Pointing device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and Multi-touch TouchPad)
Harddrive: 320GB
Optical device: DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
Battery: 9 Cell Lithium-Ion
Network Card: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
Form Factor: Notebook
Garantie: Three years parts and labour (system battery: one year)
Fingerprintsensor: Fingerprint Reader

But the only reason I am hesitating of buying this , is because there are probably a lot of laptops with better specs and with a lower price for the example the Asus U43JC. But I do not trust any their quality because I only have had experience with Sony and Lenovo.

excelerater

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I have a hard time spending upwards of a grand for an i3......but that Bamboo Asus is really slick looking......

Im ready to pull the trigger on a new work laptop,my 3 years old Compaq has served me well but its time to move forward to something faster ,its my opinion all
laptops are going to crash and die at the worst possible times

I have been looking at the quad core AMDs which are in the 700-800 range but so far my search of reviews have been slim,but on paper they show to be really great performers. actually finding good reviews on most laptops always seems too come up with hate,esp on NewEgg which is loaded with whiny kids that bash everything

Asus,MSI and Toshiba are high on my list of brands
but like all of us we want the most we can get for the dollar
so the search ends up taking a little time - where does Lenovo fall as far as
quality among brands

Merlijn

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
The only laptops of Lenovo that I know are good, are the Thinkpads. I have had one for about 4-5 years and it was by far the best laptop I have had in terms of durability and battery life. I have no idea about the other kinds of Lenovo.

Another laptop that I was thinking of, was the Dell Latitude E6510, also looks decent but almost as expensive as the Thinkpads

How is the Dell XPS 16 for travelling? It has very nice specifications but it looks a bit cheaply made.

Greets

XPS 16 is good but it has serious overheating problems.(Even under normal use)

Merlijn

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I have decided to go for the T510 but I am going to wait for the models with the sandy bridge processors, I hope they will come out around march. Till then Ill have to stick with my desktop and no laptop :( .