Looking for new headset/headphones & mic

TheRandomGuy7

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hello,

I am looking for new headphones for home use with my PC. I need both headphones and a microphone, or a headset combining both.

I previously owned a Sennheiser PC360 and loved them. Mine had issues with the cord, so I will be returning them but Amazon no longer stock them. I was close to simply swapping them for a Sennheiser G4ME One, but I have started looking into this in more detail.

My preferences for the headphones are:
- Open backed
- Excellent good sound quality all-round
- Very comfortable
- Sennheiser (very happy with this company, I am willing to try another only if they prove to be on-par with Sennheiser)
- Decent positioning in FPS games

I will use the headphones mainly for gaming, but I'm not interested in over-the-top bass or overhyped surround 'technology'. I will also use it for videos, music (different genres, but never rock/jazz/metal) and the occasional movie.

The microphone must be fairly good quality. I was delighted with the quality of the mic on my PC360, and do not want to downgrade from that. I currently use it only for VOIP and game chat, but may use it for other things in future.

The One seems to tick all my boxes, but I am considering a headphone/microphone combination instead for better quality for the cost.

Sennheiser One: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-G4ME-Gaming-Over-Ear-Headset-White/dp/B00GXW82Z4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416344118&sr=8-2&keywords=sennheiser+g4me+one

I have started looking at the Sennheiser HD 598 to get alongside a dedicated microphone. Would this be a better idea than the headset?

HD 598: www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-598-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Finally, I currently have an Asus Xonar DG sound card installed. I will be using whatever I buy with this.

If I went with the headphones, what microphone should I be looking at (as good as the one on the PC360 at a minimum)?

And would the One suffice? Or would it be awful value compared to the headphone/mic combo?

My apologies for the barrage of info. Any advice and suggestions are much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Solution

Quandao93 makes a good point, you might not need it at all. The Xonar sound card will power the headsets just fine and use them to a good majority of their potential. I used one of those to power my Beyerdynamic headphones for quite some time and it worked great. I am really picky about audio though, so upgrading to a dedicated amp/dac like the Audiogenine D1 or Fiio E10k really improved the soundstage and clarity, but most people wont notice this. The Xonar wont let you down, its great value for money.

A couple...

hysteria357

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I had the HD598s for a while and I loved them. Just be aware that people nearby will be able to hear what you are listening to. If you need a mic, the Modmic 4.0 is a good option, it attaches to the side of the headphones. A yetti desk mic will work as well depending on your setup.

The Xonar sound card will be able to properly power the headphones, but if you do go that route, upgrade that sound card to a dedicated DAC/amp down the line.

TheRandomGuy7

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I will look into the Yeti and Audiotechnica microphones if I go down the headphone route. Thanks for the suggestion.

hysteria357, the leaking sound won't be an issue for me - I will only be using them on my own in my own bedroom.

I've also been looking at the Modmic, that is an option I will consider if I get the 598.

How important is the "dedicated DAC/amp"? Will that be a necessity to bring out the full potential of the 598 or is it an option if I want higher volume/optimal performance? If so, could you recommend one for me?

hysteria357

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

Quandao93 makes a good point, you might not need it at all. The Xonar sound card will power the headsets just fine and use them to a good majority of their potential. I used one of those to power my Beyerdynamic headphones for quite some time and it worked great. I am really picky about audio though, so upgrading to a dedicated amp/dac like the Audiogenine D1 or Fiio E10k really improved the soundstage and clarity, but most people wont notice this. The Xonar wont let you down, its great value for money.

A couple years down the road though, if you feel like you want more out of your audio setup and have $100 to spare, its not a bad investment.

Solution