Looking for School Laptop w/ Light Gaming

rathyl

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
1. What is your budget?
$1200 max, would ideally like to shoot for $800 or less.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 inch, mostly for portability

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Impartial

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable for the most part.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Impartial, but more is obviously better.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I would like it to be able to play some games, quality isn't a concern, so if it can play it on medium thats overachieving. Notable games would be Diablo 3, Dungeon Defenders, some WoW. Maybe GW2, but that is less of a concern.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Standard typing and web usage for school. In science programs where nothing is overly processor intensive.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Not relevant. Ideal would be an SSD, but thats probably pushing the price out of my range.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Considering a Dell XPS 15(Don't know how to link the build), but am open to almost any manufacturer. I am unfamiliar with the laptop market.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Ideal would be 3-4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Irrelevant

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I am not too fond of HP, having a lot of problems with an older laptop from them. This was also on the order of 5 years ago, so I realize this may be outdated at this point. I would still consider one possibly.
I like Apple, but they are also costly. And I can get far more from a PC generally. I had considered waiting for an Ivy bridge air(that being the top end of the budget), but my current 4 year old Macbook is ailing pretty bad.

13. What country do you live in?
United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I am ideally looking for a laptop in the near future, but can wait a little while if needed for Ivy bridge/Intel 4000 in terms of computers without discrete graphics. I care far more about the quality than gaming specs.