Looking for sound card

lux3d3

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
Hey guys
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for my question but I am looking for a sound card for my PC. I read that external cards are actually better but only found the omni as candidate...
I want to have two exits. One for headphones (phone jack) and one for speakers (optical). I don't want to spend more than 200 USD
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

hang-the-9

Titan

It is not bad, if you look at the audio branding, it looks to have Elna capacitors https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/elna_capacitors.html

Those AKG headphones are good, in relation to something in the $30-50 range but I am not so sure they are good enough where you will be able to tell the difference with a higher end sound card.

Up to you though, better than spending the money on pizza if you think you will get better sound. And believe it or not, in a lot of cases, if you THINK it will sound better, it WILL sound better to you. I am just trying to make sure you are putting your spending in the right place.

hang-the-9

Titan

First is your PC a desktop or a laptop? Why do you want a sound card? In most cases better speakers are a much better thing to get instead.

lux3d3

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
A desktop PC with some decent bookshelf speakers (don't remember the name right now but from edifier). They won a couple of prices, I'd say mid-fi.
I want a sound card because I want to a proper sound when listening to music etc. I mean isn't that the reason to buy one? The on board ones are usually not that good...

hang-the-9

Titan

Yes a good soundcard will in general be better than onboard sound, but onboard audio cards, especially in the better motherboards, can still be good. I would not spend $200 or even $100 on a sound card unless I knew that it was better than what I have and that I could tell the difference which is the big thing. A sound card may be better, but you may not be able to tell the difference, either because of your ears or your speakers.

This is a good mid range sound card https://www.amazon.com/Xonar-DSX-Engine-Playback-Support/dp/B00198DM2K?SubscriptionId=AKIAINYWQL7SPW7D7JCA&tag=aboutcom02lifewire-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B007TMZ1MY&ascsubtag=833111%7Cgoogle.com%7C%7C%7C66%2C21%2C83%2C75%2C27%2C3%2C80%2C9%7C1%7C&th=1

lux3d3

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
I forgot to mention I'm also using the mark 2 headphones from akg.
The Mainboard I have is the Fatal1ty ab 350. It's about 100 USD so I doubt it's a good sound card

hang-the-9

Titan

It is not bad, if you look at the audio branding, it looks to have Elna capacitors https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/elna_capacitors.html

Those AKG headphones are good, in relation to something in the $30-50 range but I am not so sure they are good enough where you will be able to tell the difference with a higher end sound card.

Up to you though, better than spending the money on pizza if you think you will get better sound. And believe it or not, in a lot of cases, if you THINK it will sound better, it WILL sound better to you. I am just trying to make sure you are putting your spending in the right place.

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Could look at the Asus Xonar U5 or the Creative G5 7.1. I have the Creative G5 7.1 hooked to a set of corsair 2.1 and really cant tell a difference, it does on the other hand give me presets and EQ where onboard doesnt.

Now at home i have the Creative SB ZxR hooked to a set of Yamaha HS5 monitors and Shure 750DJ headphones and boy can you tell the difference between onboard and soundcard.

It really depends on what you use, a $1000 soundcard is not going to help a pair of iphone headphones sound any better and a $1000 pair of headphones isnt going to make onboard perform better. You have to find that happy in between for soundcard and headphones/speakers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Audio 0
theodosis231 Audio 0
B Audio 4
C Audio 1
I Audio 1
S Audio 0
Skye02 Audio 0
K Audio 4
graywoulf Audio 0
S Audio 0
K Audio 6