Looking for the cell phone with the most privacy

Jul 1, 2024
Hello everyone. I have been an iPhone user for 15 years but I have gotten more and more annoyed with Apple locking the system down and taking away control from the user. And the BS that prevents people from getting apps anywhere else but from Apple's store, requiring a membership and requiring passwords even for free apps. For instance, I know that the GPS chip also functions in airplane mode because it has a receiver not a transmitter. What could possibly prevent Apple from periodically getting a GPS reading, compiling a database and sending that data to Apple? I just do not trust them. I trust Google even less. However, I am a privacy fanatic and as a matter of principle I do not want anyone to have information about me. So here is what I want and I am wondering if it is possible:

I never use my phone for web browsing, online purchasing or for email. I would like to find a phone that puts me in control of all the data that leaves my phone. I do not care if the operating system is hacked or technical to use but I am wondering if there is a phone/OS combination which allows me to disable the GPS chip with hundred percent certainty (I understand there is also cell phone transmitter triangulation but let us put that aside for the moment) I suppose I could open any phone and remove the GPS chip but it would be nice to use it sometimes. I would like GPS data when I use it, let us say for turn by turn navigations to be functioning off-line without any risk of this data ever being sent out by my phone.

When I search the net it shows me phones which are safe from other people. That's not my concern. It's the big companies I am worried about. I don't want any part of the os which Google has designed or has a low level layer which is locked down and not available for scrutiny by the community. I want something where the coding for all levels is available to the public.

So if anyone would be kind enough to contribute and tell me what phone/OS combination I should get to come the closest to my goal (I often wonder what type of cell phone Edward Snowden are celebrities or politicians use)

Thank you

TRENDING THREADS