Looking to buy a Gaming laptop, budget not decided, info in post.

marxman224

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
1. What is your budget?
Undecided at the time, I'd like to find a general range after I get suggestions.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
As long as it's portable and not the GT80 beast with the mech key board.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p or 1440p. Size preferred is 17in. I can also do with 15in.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Both I guess, still debating this at the moment. I don't understand the concept of replacing a Desktop with a Laptop if you're just going to leave it there.
5. How much battery life do you need?
A couple of hours, I don't expect a miracle with a laptop.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Battlefield 4 Med
Arma 3 Med/high mix
Battlefront 2 High (Still looks like it needs more jpeg on high :p)
Battlefront 3 Medium
Counter strike GO High

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Just Gaming and surfing the web, possibly having a crud ton of tabs open at once.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Standard storage, one SSD with 120-250 gb and 1 tb HDD
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Best Buy, New Egg, Digital Storm, origin, Asus, HP(Generic), Etc.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as I can, I'm hoping I won't have to get a new one when the new 1000 series Nvidia cards come out.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD Burner/Writer, the usual stuff.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Don't really have much preference when it comes to Laptop brands
13. What country do you live in?
NJ, USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Solution
My advice to you is as you are not decided on your budget is to get a desktop as they are more upgradable and much cheaper than laptops and give you a lot more performance.

Laptops in my opinion are not really made to game as they only last about 3 - 4 years max and the settings of the games that the laptop can play will become less and less as the years go on whereas desktops can last a lot longer as their cooling is much better due to their size.

If you have to go with a laptop look for either asus rog, msi or sagar.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Is a laptop really a must? a desktop is 100x better at half the price. I would try and get a decent midrange laptop for casual gaming and basic needs and also buy a desktop for more hardcore gaming. If you do go with a gaming laptop, don't expect a tiny samsung laptop. You will probably end up with one around 1.5 inches thick. Is $1500 around a laptop you might look for?

marxman224

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
To be honest I've been going back and forth with Desktop vs Laptop because I don't know who to buy from. I don't have the time to configure everything to my likings for desktops and who to buy from, and it's essentially the same thing for laptops. I'm currently fixed between Digital storm and Origin. For either a Desktop or a Laptop.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Laptops are simple; you buy them and you're done. On the other hand, desktops are so much better. I (and many others on here) can design you a killer system for any budget/performance needs. This would include a list of places that these parts can currently be purchased at. The actual building of the desktop should only take a few careful hours with mostly cord neatening and careful installing of parts. There are many install videos online and as long as you aren't throwing parts or totally messing up plugging in (forcing easy to see wrong chips into MB slots and stuff). You should be fine.

Why not build a system for a desktop? For about $800-100 you can get a system that will play any game on High settings at 1080 resolutions, for a laptop you would need about $1,400 for the same speeds.

Take a look at www.xoticpc.com, they have a nice sortable range of gaming laptops you can pick from. For good gaming experience, stick with the NVidia 860M video card range and above, R7 260X mobile for AMD cards.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

$1400 only to get that kind of desktop fps is a bit generous even. BTW I have and hp envy with the amd r7 and it isn't that great. You would have to go higher with the amd gpu. Just get a cheaper laptop/tablet and build a gaming rig, but if you really want a laptop try an asus republic of gamers; those are really good. Or otherwise, try an msi gaming laptop.

My advice to you is as you are not decided on your budget is to get a desktop as they are more upgradable and much cheaper than laptops and give you a lot more performance.

Laptops in my opinion are not really made to game as they only last about 3 - 4 years max and the settings of the games that the laptop can play will become less and less as the years go on whereas desktops can last a lot longer as their cooling is much better due to their size.

If you have to go with a laptop look for either asus rog, msi or sagar.

Solution

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

The amd r7 260m is really a POS compared to the GTX 860m. He better stick with the r9 295m which is pretty decent.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Best solution is to have decent cheap laptop and build a desktop for real gaming.