Question Looking to buy a new laptop need suggestions!

Jan 7, 2020
Hi all, I am new to the site and have been using an old laptop with Windows 7 for ages. It's way past time for an update :) I have a bit of a tall order to fill and would like some expert advice from some other computer users on a good one to get. I have been doing a lot of searching on my own but am not having much luck on finding exactly what I want..there are quite a few things but I have until February to decide so that gives me a few weeks to do a bit more research into any products you may suggest. These are the prerequisites:

1. At least 500 GB - 1 TB of storage on an SDD or HDD
  2. at least 8 GB of RAM
  3. An HDMI port
  4. Multiple USB ports
  5. Media storage reader
  6. DVD/CD reader/writer
  7. at least 1080 resolution
  8. at least Intel i5 processer no less than 2.2 GH
  9. WiFi connectivity
  10. built in webcam/microphone
  11. Windows 10
  12. 15" screen or larger
  13. backlit keyboard
  14. touch screen/optional ( I would prefer a touch screen but am finding that it is nearly impossible to get one with a built in dvd/cd player)
  15. headphone jack
  16. Replaceable battery

I am going to be using the laptop for mostly gaming and watching streaming shows and movies so speed is key. I like to do photo and movie editing too so that's why the cd/dvd writer is a must have. I use the HDMI-USB-media ports a lot also. I'm going to be going to either Best Buy or Walmart or some other major computer store like that since I don't feel comfortable having it shipped. Price range is on a decent budget (trying to stay under $800) I have to get a mouse and a backup drive too so keeping that in mind. If you have any laptops you can recommend that have all of these things I want I would greatly appreciate your input! Really looking forward to seeing what you all have in mind :D

Jan 10, 2020
Go for msi alpha 15
MSI Alpha 15 Overview:-
2.3 GHz AMD Ryzen 7 3750H Quad-Core, 16GB DDR4 - 512GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD, 15.6" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz IPS Display, AMD Radeon RX5500M (4GB GDDR6), SD/SDHC/SDXC Card Reader, USB Type-A & Type-C - HDMI - Mini DP, Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) - Bluetooth 5.0, Windows 10 Home 64-Bit The MSI 15.6 Alpha 15 Gaming Laptop is built with an AMD CPU and GPU bringing their Ryzen and Radeon technologies to the mobile platforms. Specs-wise it's powered by a 2.3 GHz AMD Ryzen 7 3750H quad-core processor 16GB of DDR4 RAM a 512GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD and an AMD Radeon RX5500M graphics card. With these combined this system can easily tackle everyday tasks and play games on its 1920 x 1080 Full HD display. Furthermore the display has a 144 Hz refresh rate and AMD Radeon FreeSync technology for a smooth gaming experience. Other integrated features include USB Type-A and Type-C ports HDMI and Mini DisplayPort outputs an SD card reader 802.11ac Wi-Fi Bluetooth 5.0 a webcam speakers microphone and audio in/out jacks. The operating system is Windows 10 Home.
Brand: MSI
Operating system: Windows OS
Screen size: 15.6 in
Drive capacity: 512 GB drive
Drive type: Solid State Drive
Feature: Gaming

Also its not at all costly.
Hope it helps...

Reactions: thumpergirl
Jan 7, 2020
Go for msi alpha 15
MSI Alpha 15 Overview:-
2.3 GHz AMD Ryzen 7 3750H Quad-Core, 16GB DDR4 - 512GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD, 15.6" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz IPS Display, AMD Radeon RX5500M (4GB GDDR6), SD/SDHC/SDXC Card Reader, USB Type-A & Type-C - HDMI - Mini DP, Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) - Bluetooth 5.0, Windows 10 Home 64-Bit The MSI 15.6 Alpha 15 Gaming Laptop is built with an AMD CPU and GPU bringing their Ryzen and Radeon technologies to the mobile platforms. Specs-wise it's powered by a 2.3 GHz AMD Ryzen 7 3750H quad-core processor 16GB of DDR4 RAM a 512GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD and an AMD Radeon RX5500M graphics card. With these combined this system can easily tackle everyday tasks and play games on its 1920 x 1080 Full HD display. Furthermore the display has a 144 Hz refresh rate and AMD Radeon FreeSync technology for a smooth gaming experience. Other integrated features include USB Type-A and Type-C ports HDMI and Mini DisplayPort outputs an SD card reader 802.11ac Wi-Fi Bluetooth 5.0 a webcam speakers microphone and audio in/out jacks. The operating system is Windows 10 Home.
Brand: MSI
Operating system: Windows OS
Screen size: 15.6 in
Drive capacity: 512 GB drive
Drive type: Solid State Drive
Feature: Gaming

Also its not at all costly.
Hope it helps...

Thank you so much for the reply! :) could you let me know which msi alpha 15 model has the cd/dvd drive and replaceble battery please?

Jan 7, 2020
A quick Google search can show you quite a few newer laptops with a cd/dvd drive..the HP envy for one. It's a little over my budget tho and there has been reports of the hinge breaking easily. It has everything I want but the hinge is a deal breaker. I want something that will last for over $1,000.00 :) maybe this wasn't the place to ask since I don't seem to be getting many replies.

RolandJS

Estimable
Mar 10, 2017
Add to your purchase an external USB HDD for your routine OS and data partitions full images, folder/file, backups, and, an external USB cooling fan assembly (one giant fan or twin fans). Laptops can get hot, forcing a shutdown, best to avoid such situations.