Looking to buy a new Laptop, some general questions.

LTK-33

Estimable
May 5, 2014
Edit, my criteria may have been too vague, let me try to summarize.

Weight doesn't matter
Battery life doesn't matter
Storage is not critical, but I think 750 or up.
It's for basic use, not gaming, nothing high tech,

Looks matter and some durability is a plus. I'd like a nice machine as it's kind of a present for someone else and she's not a computer person so looks and a sturdy frame actually is a plus. Nice speakers and a firm, sleek looking shell is a plus. That's why I'm thinking Asus or Lenovo. I know that you can buy speakers for a unit, but it gets moved around some and that would be a little clunky.

I'd like to buy something that could still be useable 3-4 years from now, not the cheapest out there.

What I don't know is, should I buy a $500 machine, 4th Gen I5 maybe 4th Gen I7 is the way to go, or if it makes sense to dip into the $900 range and get a 5th or 6th gen. How big an upgrade is the extra $400, again, not for gaming, just for machine longevity. Should I go the cheapest I5 I can find on Amazon, bestbuy or newegg or for a machine that someone else will use for 3-4 years, would it be better to spend more so they don't end up with a buggy, slow machine in 2 years?

Thanks. Hope that's clear?

1. What is your budget? $500 - $1,000, see description on the bottom.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17 inches, essential.

3. What screen resolution do you want? Leaning towards the better, 1080x1900, but open to 900x1600.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? It will be moved around the house some, so portable, I think, but It's only moved maybe 2 times per week, one room to another. It can be heavyish.

5. How much battery life do you need? Doesn't matter. Will be plugged in mostly.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Nope.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) No thrills. Good speakers would be a plus.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I'm thinking 750 should be enough for some photos and movies and MS office.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I'm more interested in reliability and return options than best possible price. I've shopped around Amazon, bestbuy, newegg, dell, toshiba, lenovo.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? I'm a fan of long term use. 4-5 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Just the basics, able to play movies on DVD.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I'm leaning towards quality brands over Economy, probably, ASUS, Lenovo, maybe Dell or Toshiba.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

It's for 2 nurses who care for my mom and spend a lot of time at my place so they need a laptop (they share the same machine). Neither does high end use, but a machine that won't crash and will stream movies, Netflix and Skype without interruption or the speakers turning off or other glitches is a plus. The current machine and I3, about 4-5 years old, very buggy right now.

Main problem I have with purchase is I'm not sure how high end to go. I'd like to buy fairly soon, but can wait and look for sales for a few weeks, maybe till after x-mas.

Should I go 6th Gen or is 5th fine or even 4th OK? Obviously, 4th Gen is much cheaper.

Part of me wants to go high end and buy this one. I like the look and the speakers, though just 2 ports and no mic jack are issues and just 8 ram sounds low. It's probably not the one but I love the look. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-17-inch/?sb=:000001C9:00016632:

But I could obviously go a lot less, $700, even $600 or $500 and still get an significant upgrade. Bare minimum, I think, I-5, 8 gig ram, 750 storage. But bottom line is, what's a good dollar amount to spend, and quality to buy that will be useful for at least 3-4 years, and not obsolete in 1 or 2.

looking for one that won't crash and can be re-installed easily if it gets a virus without a ton of junk software already in it. Mostly for web surfing, has to be 17 inch laptop cause the big screen is something they really like.

Is it better to buy a slightly older, bargain model now or higher end? I'd prefer to buy new and returnable in case anything goes wrong vs bargain and/or refurbished.

apologies if my specs are too vague / thanks for any assistance.

For basic use most laptops will last you a long time as long as you use it in the way it is designed. Lenovos are the ones I would go for if you want the lowest end laptops for your purpose. Another option is acer.

For the high end asus n series is very good.

LTK-33

Estimable
May 5, 2014

Thanks for your answer, and I apologize for my being a bit of a noob with this stuff.

I'm narrowing it down.

Thinking of this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1E33412#close

advantages, ACER Aspires get good reviews. Windows 7 (the person I'm buying it for prefers Windows 7), Price is in my range. Cons 1600 x 900 screen resolution, but that's not a deal breaker.

Or This: http://www.amazon.com/X755JA-DS71-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Windows-Upgrade/dp/B00S44XB78/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450337168&sr=1-2&keywords=Asus&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A7817234011%2Cp_89%3AAsus%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289793011|2289792011%2Cp_n_feature_eighteen_browse-bin%3A6819965011%2Cp_n_intended_use_browse-bin%3A9647499011|9647498011%2Cp_36%3A100-100000%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011 (wow that's a long link)

In case it doesn't show - ASUS X755JA-DS71

Advantages: I7, very good reviews. Price is a little higher than I want to spend.

Cons, Windows 8.1 / windows 10 free upgrade, 1600 x 900

or maybe this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232450

Pros, Windows 7

Cons, looks a little expensive, nearly $800, 1600 x 900, The Asus P series doesn't have a lot of reviews, the few I found weren't great. I'm thinking maybe not this one.

Or this, leaning towards this one, but I'm no expert.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319847

Pros, good reviews, 1900 x 1080 resolution. $689.99, so it's on sale (same price on Amazon where I get 3 cents per dollar returned via rewards), so effectively about $679

Cons, Windows 10 (I like WIndows 7 for the person I'm ordering this).

I'm leaning the Lenovo now. It looks like a nice upgrade without costing too much.

Have I picked a good machine or am I way off? Again, mostly just looking for a steady machine that won't crash or get buggy with speakers like the current one (4 maybe 5 year old I3 Toshiba does) and something that will be a usable laptop for the next 4 years or so.

Thanks again.