Looking to buy Android phone

Spykerwolf

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hi guys, hopefully you can help me. At the moment I have a Nokia 6234 and I think it's time for an upgrade. I've always wanted a smartphone, touchscreen and with the Android OS. My budget is around $230 US - $280 US ($300-$350 NZ dollars).

I've looked at the HTC Wildfire, but read that the screen is too pix-elated and there's application problems as well. Someone said it can't play Angry Birds lol. So which phone would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Solution
OP,

you forgot to mention which of the following scenaries applies to your budget:

A) phone only. no contract agreements, no contract discounts.

B) new phone & contract. in the us typically 2 years, hefty discount on new phone.

C)refurbished phone. pick with plan, or without plan.

----

i'm not sure how things work in NZ but with my contract renewal i got a new android phone for $99 in store. to purchase outright without a plan was $600.

i'm currently using an htc incredible and so far the only issue i've found was that haptic feedback stops working at times which from what i've read, i might just have a dud. everything else has been great.

i was not at all impressed with the others on display. the physical keyboard on some...
OP,

you forgot to mention which of the following scenaries applies to your budget:

A) phone only. no contract agreements, no contract discounts.

B) new phone & contract. in the us typically 2 years, hefty discount on new phone.

C)refurbished phone. pick with plan, or without plan.

----

i'm not sure how things work in NZ but with my contract renewal i got a new android phone for $99 in store. to purchase outright without a plan was $600.

i'm currently using an htc incredible and so far the only issue i've found was that haptic feedback stops working at times which from what i've read, i might just have a dud. everything else has been great.

i was not at all impressed with the others on display. the physical keyboard on some wasn't all that great and the onscreen keyboard on some had excessive lag. if you have a local cellphone store you might want to play around with them for a bit.

a few things about the market in general:

amoled screens like mine aren't the best in direct sunlight. i've heard about a new screen type being implemented in some newer phones but i'm not sure what the name of it was. supposedly it offers better viewing in direct sunlight.

there is a new snapdragon cpu soon to be released (look it up in tomshardware articles, they did one a few weeks ago) that is more powerful then gen1 and uses quite a bit less power too! might be a real battery saver.

Solution

in_core

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
chk out this...all of these are priced around your budget
http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sName=&idMaker=0&idAvailability=0&YearAnnounced=0&nPriceLow=0&nPriceHigh=250&idCurrency=1&idFormFactor=0&idDualSIM=0&idQwerty=0&HeightMax=0&WidthMax=0&ThicknessMax=0&WeightMax=0&idOS=11&nminCPUMHz=0&nCPUCores=0&nminRAMMB=0&nminInternalStorageMB=0&idExpansionCard=0&idDisplay=0&nminDisplayX=0&nminDisplayY=0&nmaxDisplayX=0&nmaxDisplayY=0&fminDisplaySize=0&fmaxDisplaySize=0&idDisplayTech=0&idTouchscreen=0&idAccelerometer=0&id35mm=0&idCamera=0&idCameraFlash=0&idVideoRecorder=0&idSecondaryCamera=0&idGPS=0&bWLAN=0&bEDGE=0&bGPRS=0&idBluetooth=0&bIR=0&bEmail=0&bWAP=0&bJava=0&idRadio=0&bMMS=0&idRingtones=0&sColor=&StandBy=0&TalkTime=0&sFreeText=