Looking to replace my laptop

kdstude1

Prominent
May 26, 2017
So here's my situation. I have a Qosimo X75-A7195 that I've used for over 2 and a 1/2 years now. System has a i7-4700MQ and a GeForce GTX770M with 16gb of RAM. I've been on probably 50 travel periods and two long trips, over 1 year each, overseas with this laptop. I've really enjoyed using this laptop, regardless of the weight, but recently it's been crashing and overheating a lot. I usually play first person shooters such as Titan Fall 2, Doom, Battlefield, etc on my laptop but recently I rebuilt my desktop and have moved to playing on it over my laptop. Here are my desktop specs:

• Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
    Asus - MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
    Western Digital - WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Western Digital - WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Hybrid Gaming Video Card
    NZXT - Phantom (Black/Green) ATX Full Tower Case
    EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
    Acer - XB271HU 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor

For work I can go months without traveling and then go for two or three months of back to back travel. Also, usually I fly to a site and I'm there until I fly back. So heavier isn't as bad for me since it's not 15 flights between different sites in one travel period. So I'm back and forth on the portability or gaming laptop. When I'm at home I barely touch my laptop now unless I'm hanging around in the kitchen or living room and just using it for browsing, watching videos, etc. At the same time when you leave home for a month or more it's nice being able to game.

1. What is your budget? $2,200 US

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15, 17

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920x1080 or 2560 x 1440

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Back and forth on that one depending on how much I travel.

5. How much battery life do you need? 3 or 4 hours at least.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? COD, Gears of War, Battlefield, Titan Fall2. I'm good with Medium settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Browsing, watching movies and videos, spreadsheets, some virtualization products.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 512gb minimum. My itunes library is 1.81TB, my gaming library is over 400gb, my music library is 900+gb, 7TB of movies, etc. You get the point I have a lot of media to include backups. I have a synology nas with 32TB of storage and a 8TB drive I store most of my media I can't fit onto my laptop. If you have ever been at an airport without internet you know why local storage is important.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. www.dell.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 2 years. I can easily update my desktop would like to get 2 years or more out of my laptop.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Use a DVD/CD optical drive quite often but I have an external usb powered bluray/cd/dvd burner already.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in?

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

So I've been looking at the Alienware 15 with a GTX 1070 graphics card and a 512gb PCIe SSD and a 1TB Hard drive or the Dell XPS with the GTX 1050 4GB and a 1920x1080 screen. Just can't seem to pull the trigger. Can I play games at medium settings on the Dell XPS 15 9560? Or should I get the heavy monster to carry around with the better specs?

Sorry for the long post

kdstude1

Prominent
May 26, 2017

I've looked at those in the past. A buddy of my got the intel nuc skull canyon with a projector and external gpu doc. He seems to like it and it can fit in a back pack.