Lost Bitcoins? Don't Click on This Malware Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

neieus

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I originally liked the idea of bitcoins but after watching graphic card prices skyrocket then something like this happened... I have never mined a bitcoin before and now I don't think I want too. It's bad enough our credit and debit cards can be hacked why add a new target?

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Seriously? Malware that you have to click on the news, decide that you want to read it enough to "install flash," learn how to unpack a .rar (if computers aren't your thing, which is true for the targets of malware and such), and THEN run a .exe.This seems like a ridiculous and ineffective way of spreading malware, especially since it applies only to those who lost bitcoin.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Seriously? Malware that you have to click on the news, decide that you want to read it enough to "install flash," learn how to unpack a .rar (if computers aren't your thing, which is true for the targets of malware and such), and THEN run a .exe.This seems like a ridiculous and ineffective way of spreading malware, especially since it applies only to those who lost bitcoin.
Actually, faking a legit web page and including a Flash installer (which, BTW, can happen on a legit web page, as well) instead of trying more sneaky ( and more obvious) ways is bound to work with half-PC literate people (same way that you're more likely to open the front door for someone in a nice suit than someone in dubious-looking clothing). The only thing about this scam that's not going to work is the fact that people that got into Bitcoin mining or trading are a little more than half-literate when it comes to computers. Other than that, it has more chances than the classic Nigerian princess scheme.

munch123

Estimable
Mar 13, 2014
This is happening to my computer now, but not because of bitcoins. I am not sure how it started, but since yesterday, I have been unable to navigate to Facebook and any Google-related site, and I get a message that says my Adobe Flash Player needs updating. Interestingly, I got this warning while using Safari on my iPhone 4. Apple doesn't even support Adobe Flash Player! I didn't click to install, obviously, but I cannot get these d*mn notifications to go away. NOTE: I tried to post this by using my Google and Facebook accounts, and this site wouldn't let me because "something is interfering with your secure connection to accounts.google.com" WTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.