Lots Of Waiting Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Ok, so I have this really awesome and personally highly recommended utility called Process Hacker, which you can download here (it's completely safe and fantastic), and I was looking at the waiting connections in the network tab, which displays all the ip's waiting to connect to your computer, along with their status, and allows you to ping them, tracert, whois, etc. Normally there's about five waiting connections that are all common ip's and are required to be able to access certain sites (like Tom's). However, just a minute ago there were about 30 of them, and all I had open was Tom's and my email. I started doing the whois and tracert and 20 of them disappeared! This is actually quite normal, and most people who don't use command prompt or process hacker don't know, but waiting and established connections are typical for everyday computing, and your updates and whatnot all show up there. But I've never seen that many on there at once without having like ten or more tabs open, and I've never seen more than about 5 of them disappear at the same time.

Does anyone think there is a possibility that either my system or Tom's or my email is compromised, or that I have a virus or something? This is probably normal, but I've never seen it before.

Thanks, and I highly recommend downloading process hacker. It makes task manager look like notepad compared to Word 2007. It's freaking awesome, and allows you to suspend processes, not just terminate them, so you can start the back up faster, and it also has all the whois and whatnot that I talked about. Very cool program.

Solution
Have you tried to run Malwarebytes and super antispyware?
Run both of them and you will be surprised what they may find.

Aslo are you running the google tool bar?
If so that will cause a couple of entries.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
They keep going away and coming back. So I did the whois on all of them and most are from google, but I'm not on google at all right now. I already knew google tracked some wifi networks, but this is ethernet. wtf? Why is google waiting for a connection to my computer? Is this some new Firefox thing or something? I don't even have Chrome, why won't google leave me alone?

If anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about or thinks they know if it's ok or there's a problem, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, Kris.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Have you tried to run Malwarebytes and super antispyware?
Run both of them and you will be surprised what they may find.

Aslo are you running the google tool bar?
If so that will cause a couple of entries.

Solution

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Yes, I have. I don't have a virus, and google's not doing anything wrong. It just likes to listen to my computer. Some sites I've figured out even if they just have a google ad or a google custom search it will connect you to a google server just visiting the site. I am running the google toolbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.