Low spec 2-in-1 or Medium spec Laptop?

xxhbmxx

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
Good day everyone,
I need to buy a new laptop which I will be using for about 2 months and then it will be passed down to my siblings, since I'll be getting a 2-in-1 with better specs. Problem is, though, when I looked at all the devices available in my price range, 2-in-1's were pretty common to see. The only thing which I'm concerned about, though, is that the one's in my budget only have 2 GB's of RAM mostly due to having an Intel Atom inside. What made me contemplate though is that I can get a laptop, which doesn't support touch but has an i3 and 4 GB's of RAM. Like I said before, I will be using this for only 2 months or so in which I'll mostly be using it at school, then I will be getting a much better hybrid and the current device will be passed down to my siblings. I want the choice to be more centered around them than being centered around me, my siblings are younger than me(I'm 14) and I need something that they'll learn spot on. Thank you for you help.

Hyboria

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
Personally I wouldn't inflict an Atom processor and 2GB of RAM on anyone.

Is touch an essential feature for you, or your siblings? If not I would recommend the laptop - you'll get a more powerful machine that's much more portable. Perhaps the only thing you'll lose out on is screen size.

xxhbmxx

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015

Is an Atom configuration really THAT terrible? Perhaps touch isn't really an important feature IF the laptop is good enough to compensate. My siblings will have the laptop/hybrid once I get mine, so I would like the discussion to be more focused around them having it rather than me having it. Thing is, they'll mostly use it to play flash games or games from the windows store and watch shows or use Youtube. Our budget is around $200-$300. Hope this helps for a final conclusion.

Hyboria

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
Honestly it depends which Atom you're looking at. I've seen that the top-tier current gen Atom processors can offer a comparable performance to some of the lower i3 models. I suppose you need to figure out which model of CPU you're looking at.

Both processors shouldn't have any trouble playing flash games, but I would still recommend 4GB of RAM, thus leading me to conclude the i3 laptop would be a better deal.

Btw my previous answer may have been a bit misguided - in my mind I was thinking of an all-in-one, not a 2-in-1. Can you provide me with the details of the two different machines you're considering?