lower performance with new drivers

USMCElite

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I just a new laptop from newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834210015
//
Well everything was fine with this laptop. I could play counter strike and halo with everything turned up with no problem. But then every once in a while, in the middle of playing, the game would freeze and go back to the desktop and it would say that the display driver stop working. I had 156.07 drivers for my 8600m gt. So then i decided to update the drivers so i can get ride of this problem. I went to laptopvideo2go.com and downloaded the 177.92 drivers. Everything went well, i get a higher score in 3dmark05 but now my games slow down and i get lag with the same settings. When i start the game and play for like the first 5min it works fine but then it begins to slow down. I tried downloading other drivers, but with some i get artifacts and some i get the same thing. I think its weird because i get better scores in 3dmark but my games run worse. can someone help??

frozenlead

Distinguished
Try drivers from another source. Counterstrike and Halo should play without lag at any setting on that machine, not using AA maybe.
Did you uninstall the older drivers when you installed new ones?

USMCElite

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I did uninstall the older drivers and used driver sweeper to get rid of everything but i haven't tried other sources.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Try some other sources. And, just for kicks, record your GPU temps.

Also, make sure your notebook is in high performance mode >.<

Don't trust synthetic benchmarks 100%. They don't match a real game.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Two things:
1) Newer drivers aren't always faster or even as fast as previous ones. Stability and compatibility are the goals.
2) Not all mobile video cards are created equal. If the official nvidia drivers don't work (and they usually don't), then your best bet is always the laptop integrator / manufacturer, as there may be some changes unique to that manufactuer or integrator. If you are feel lucky, try drivers from NGO or Omega. Other than than that, stay away from sites like laptopvideo2go.

USMCElite

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
When i play games i make sure its in high performance. The GPU Temp is usually around 65c playing games. Well i did try other drivers from the same website, but same results. I think something must be downclocking because it plays fine for like 5min and then it slows down and i get lag.

USMCElite

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
well i wish it was that easy. If i get drivers from a different website, they don't work because they don't have the modded INF files that enable the driver to be downloaded to a laptop. Laptopvideo2go.com is pretty much the only website that has modded INF files with their drivers so you can install them. Without the modded INF files, when you open the driver it would say that the driver couldn't find any hardware compatible with it. This even happens with the driver that nvidia gives you.