LVDS pin assignment

Janpieter Sollie

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
here's the idea:
my current laptop has a LED display with a very poor luminance (200) and a WXGA resulution 15.6 HD display.
So, I thought it might be a good idea to replace it with a better one.
to make things not too complicated, I stayed in the LED market.
but, my idea was "hey, my GPU can handle triple monitor (LVDS / full HD VGA / full HD HDMI), why not just 'upgrade' the LVDS screen with a full HD one?"
so I started browsing, and found some models which are suitable (same physical size, almost same power draw), and have a luminance of 300nit.

but, there's one difficulty when looking at the pin assignment of wxga vs full hd displays:
wxga display (look at page 8)
full hd display (look at page 18)
most of you will notice the unused data pins of the wxga display (20-30) are actually used in the full HD display
So, what are my chances here? is a GPU with a 40-pin LVDS connector currently capable of using those pins by default? or do I need to perform additional research before performing such an (unsupported) action?

Note: I know how to disassemble my laptop: the cpu, hdd, wifi, keyboard, and dvd have already been replaced by an unsupported upgrade

Pinhedd

Distinguished
I suspect that it will work but I can't guarantee it. It will come down to whether or not your laptop manufacturer decided to run those LVDS lanes at all and whether or not there's an assembled resistor network on the unused lanes. If it's a cheap laptop and they were trying to save on manufacturing costs, my suspicion is "no".

Janpieter Sollie

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

thx.

any ways I can find out about the assembled resistor network?

*edit* for those who might be capable of deciding it by model nr: mainboard PCB is MB.P4201.002, is used by acer & HP, LVDS connector is on the back side, GPU is next to the CPU

Janpieter Sollie

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
ok, I think I found something:
GPU specs
it states it has 1 integrated LVDS controller (so it's not a VGA / DVI interface which is transformed), which is capable of supporting 1920x1200 interfaces for 18-pin (wxga?) and 24-pin (full HD?) data links.
As we 're talking about the data links here, can I assume it's all right now?