M.2 Key M adapter to PCIe

jaffamanj

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
Im trying to hook up an external GPU to my laptop. I have an external GPU dock wich connects to a PCIe slot. I knew this wasnt going to fit in my laptop, and that i had to get some sort of adapter, if possible. Originally i tought i had to sacrifice my WiFi card slot when connecting an external GPU dock, as seen in all the tutorials i watched on Youtube. Upon opening i found my laptop had three M.2 slots wich my WiFi and SSD card is connected to. The WiFi card has two notches on the right side with the letters E and A (wich i dont know the techical term for) , and my SSD is connected @ an M.2 Key B/M slot, with notches on both sides. Then there is a slot wich i believe is an M.2 Key M slot with a notch on the left side, wich is currently not seated by any device. (see picture)

zv8tBE4

Same picture if above doesent work:
http://imgur.com/a/zv8tBE4

Im thinking of buying an M.2 Key B/M to PCIe adapter. Will this adapter (see picture) work inside the M.2 Key M slot? Its really convenient if it does, because then i can use the power cables already laid to the free slot to power the adapter. If not, what adapter will work for me? (if you find a link, please put it in the comments, thanks)

(I wont be able to respond anytime soon as im without internet connection until tomorrow, please be patient with any eventual questions, thanks :) )

PS: in the imgur desctription it says M.2 Key A/M (instead of B/M). This is a typo.

Solution
Theoretically it should work, but it all depends on the motherboard and how it was build. In this category there is only test and trial, there is nothing for sure.
Be sure to provide external power to teh videocard, from what i see there is a sata port for powering the adaptor. The M.2 slot cannot provide enought power for a midrange videocard.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
Theoretically it should work, but it all depends on the motherboard and how it was build. In this category there is only test and trial, there is nothing for sure.
Be sure to provide external power to teh videocard, from what i see there is a sata port for powering the adaptor. The M.2 slot cannot provide enought power for a midrange videocard.

Solution