MacBook buying guidance

DANIEL_479

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
Hello all,

I am currently looking at buying a MacBook, but I have a few questions about the process, and please, I am not looking for a "better" value PC.

So I am buying this gift for a family member, and the two MacBooks I am currently looking at are the MacBook and the MacBook Air. (The MacBook is the 1300 dollar one [base model] and the MacBook Air is the 1000 dollar one).

My question is the resolution of the MacBook Air decent in this day and age? This is for somebody that will really just use this computer to write, watch movies, maybe read, and use power point and spreadsheets. This person is used to 1080p monitors, so will this be a noticeable decrease (the MacBook air's resolution is 1440 x 900 on a 13.3 inch screen.) Also, is the speed of the MacBook Air able to keep up with this pretty easy demands (I assume it is).

The MacBook seems to be much sharper and faster in general, but in your opinion would it be worth the extra 300 dollars for the processes that it would be used for?

Thank you in advance for all replys!

Solution
I think the screen on the macbook air is a deal breaker for me.

You're not going to see anymore refreshes on the macbook either so it will start to be a dated product if you care about resale value.

I say go for the MacBook. You may want to try to buy from different sites though. I highly recommend BH photo. I was able to pick up a used 2016 macbook pro that was specced out to 2200 if from apple for 1700. If you're buying outside of New York there is also no tax. I've bought 2 macbooks from there so far and I've been happy with the either time. Just something to consider...

EDIT:
The new ones seem to be on sale for 1200 now as well:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/macbook/ci/29065/N/3713083441

nzalog

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
I think the screen on the macbook air is a deal breaker for me.

You're not going to see anymore refreshes on the macbook either so it will start to be a dated product if you care about resale value.

I say go for the MacBook. You may want to try to buy from different sites though. I highly recommend BH photo. I was able to pick up a used 2016 macbook pro that was specced out to 2200 if from apple for 1700. If you're buying outside of New York there is also no tax. I've bought 2 macbooks from there so far and I've been happy with the either time. Just something to consider...

EDIT:
The new ones seem to be on sale for 1200 now as well:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/macbook/ci/29065/N/3713083441

Solution