Macbook or Gaming laptop

claysei

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
Macbook, or gaming laptop?

I'm in collage and just decided to buy a new laptop. I'm in mechanical university, and I'm using CAD, Solid Edge and so on (not often, I just need a laptop to be able to do that when I'm not near my PC). Sometimes I play some games like Wow and some others, nothing special. ű
I have no idea what's the real benefit owning a macbook. (dispite of It's just so light, and thin, its great to take it with me)
My budget is about like 1-1500$.
In some cases it could be wider. Yesterday I saw an MSI GS70 Pro, and I just falled in love with it. So yea, could be maybe larger budget. NVM, the main question is, Is it better for buy a light macbook? What's the benefit of it? What is wrong with them?

Thanks!

P.S.: My english is just awful, sorry for that.

Solution
It really depends on your needs and personal preferences. Cosmetics aside, if you're working with a lot of unix/linux servers, Macs are really well suited to that since it has a native terminal. Windows has stuff like secureCRT and puTTy but I find them more clunky to use than Terminal.app and iTerm on mac.

If your software is mostly windows based (like most games), a windows laptop offers a lot more bang for the buck since Macs are so expensive.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
It really depends on your needs and personal preferences. Cosmetics aside, if you're working with a lot of unix/linux servers, Macs are really well suited to that since it has a native terminal. Windows has stuff like secureCRT and puTTy but I find them more clunky to use than Terminal.app and iTerm on mac.

If your software is mostly windows based (like most games), a windows laptop offers a lot more bang for the buck since Macs are so expensive.

Solution

zarugal

Estimable
Jun 30, 2014
You would be better off with a gaming laptop if you want to use it for CAD. MacBooks just don't have powerful enough dedicated GPUs to even think about using them for CAD.
Macs are also pretty useless for gaming thanks to their poor cooling performance, I have one and it heats up badly playing things like LoL.
You'll also get far better performance per dollar out of a gaming laptop.

claysei

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
Thanks for answers!

If there is other laptops like MSI GS70 (I mean thin like that, and light in their ways) just let me know.
I would like to get a laptop about 2-2.5kg, that's kind of light for me, and thin like GS70s. Actually it would be a perfect laptop, but it's just so expensive in my country.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006

I've always liked the Lenovo Y50 line of laptops. It's in your price range, they're well made, and they pack relatively nice GPUs. Well, as good as MBP's but they're much cheaper than MBPs also.