Solved! macbook or gaming windows laptop?

twocows

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005
so i am in a bind at the moment. my budget currently is $1400 dollars and i dont live in the US. i am in a third world country.
i am an IT guy by trade and have used and built PCs through out my life... its one of those times when you're out of a job and have to make every penny count thus advise from fellow people is required.
now,
i've always been attracted to macs and have had one in the past, a 13inch, and really liked its battery life. this was back in 2010.

my choices are limited at the moment. i can only make my selection from whats available to me in the market. in other words, please dont suggest to me other than what i am putting in...

option 1: ) mac book pro base model. 128gig ssd, core i5, NO touch-bar.
i can get this currently for the base price of $1300 dollars.
my cons for it are what everyone hates. the fact it has only two ports, it is a dongle life with it, and the keyboard being so sticky... butterfly?
what i do like about it is everything else... the retina screen, the battery life (54wh), the speed, the updates from apple are unified, the look, the design. i wouldnt put it as a choice if i wasnt attracted to it.

option 2: ) is an am MSI gamers laptop model number, gv627re, heres a link to its specs: https://goo.gl/4Yvvy8
its specs are top notch; core i7 7700hq, 16gig ram, 1TB HDD + 128 SSD, 4GB nvidia geforce gtx 1050TI, screen is 15.6" but i dont think its IPS.
so its a gaming laptop. its battery is a piece of garbage. only 41wh. for a machine this size who in their right mind would lug it around to do regular browsing on without the power adapter.

anyways. i am not much of a gamer to start with. i play the occasional wow. very rare ...and mostly hearthstone. both of these games play fine on the mac ....

furthermore, i am Linux certified and love to mess with distributions here and there at times.
i know that Linux DOES run on mac .... not sure why people think it doesn't.

in the end. should i shell out the money for the mac and deal with dongle hell? although one USB hub with all the ports should suffice?

or should i just get the MSI and chain it to a desk and rely on my smartphone for everything else?

Solution

OS X runs a modified version of BSD Unix under the hood. In that respect it's a helluva lot more stable than Windows. For one, like all Unixes it's built from the ground up with user/superuser separation in mind. Windows was built assuming a single user who had complete control of the system (was the superuser).

I'm a Unix guy and a photographer to boot. The Macbook Pro would seem to be aimed right at my demographic, and every time I'm upgrading laptops I do consider it. I always end up getting something else though. Apple just...

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
I had an MBPr 13" 2015 from a company.
It is very nice for work. the main pros for me were performance and resource utilization + presence of terminal and python out of the box.
I hated just about everything else about the OS. inconsistent UI, crap work with multimonitor setup, and occasional stability issues like system crashes, overheating and CPU throttling under load etc..

for work, I'd probably opt for something else than those two.
from those two, if i had to work with mobile devices and to use xcode, the macbook is an obvious choice. Otherwise, the MSI one is much more powerful option.

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

If you do not game too much I would go Mac. I use my Mac for work and productivity and it is pretty good for that. I know everyone complains about ports, but I got two 32 gigs of thumbdrives with USB C and normal USB as well as a back up HDD with USB C and a USB Hub for free with my Mac. I have never used either except the thumbdrive occasionally. Unless you are doing video editing, or need to download or install files through HDD's and all, the Mac should be an ecosystem you should consider. Not to mention, it also tends to last. My Mac has been running for 4 years now, although that could be because that I take pretty good care of it.

twocows

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005

interesting. as an IT guy all my life i've always know the mac OS to be more stable than windows but then again i dont have real world experience with it. its just what i hear from the fan-boys :)

nevertheless thank you all for taking the time to reply. i guess its time for me to get my feet muddy and jump into the expensive world of apple on my own penny.

twocows

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005

ya. i dont game much to be honest. my hand eye precision is crap. lol. the most i play is the collectable card game, hearthstone, which is available natively on the mac.
i am one of those that complain about the lack of ports. apple labels this product as a "macbook pro" and by pro it should mean professionals .... guess who is complaining? the pros are. its a crappy move on their side. yet at the same time these things are selling like pancakes.
we always hear the negativity from people who complain. hardly any person who likes their machine will say its good. its just rare.
anywho. i do appreciate you taking the time to reply back to me.

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

I am no fanboy. I just appreciate that their product has done the work I needed it to do, as well as having lasted for quite some time. Perhaps my demands are much less than yours.

Quit being so salty.

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
I was impressed what a macbook with dual core can do. but it is still a dual core and that in 2018 for 1400$ is unacceptable IMO.
I'm also not a fan of aluminium laptop cases. they are just not durable enough.

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

That I agree.

OS X runs a modified version of BSD Unix under the hood. In that respect it's a helluva lot more stable than Windows. For one, like all Unixes it's built from the ground up with user/superuser separation in mind. Windows was built assuming a single user who had complete control of the system (was the superuser).

I'm a Unix guy and a photographer to boot. The Macbook Pro would seem to be aimed right at my demographic, and every time I'm upgrading laptops I do consider it. I always end up getting something else though. Apple just makes too many compromises in performance and heat in order to maintain aesthetics (cut some damn vent holes in the bottom of the chassis!).

I wouldn't touch a MBP right now. Or for that matter, the MSI laptop you listed. Up through Kaby Lake, Intel's mobile quad cores all had 45W TDP, except for a few special models Intel seemingly made just for Apple which had a 35W TDP.

With Coffee Lake (i#-8xxx), Intel introduced a bunch of mobile quad cores with just a 15W TDP. That is an absolutely huge difference when it comes to battery life. Quad core performance for dual core power consumption. PC laptops using Coffee Lake are already on sale. Apple will probably update the Macbooks with the newer processors this year. But that doesn't help you since you're considering buying an older MBP.

Solution

twocows

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005

wow. quite a response there. much appreciated.

may i ask what kind / type of laptop you have right now then?

i am pretty sure apple will surprise everyone in their yearly update of a new laptop. they'll either shoot their selves in the foot even further or rescue themselves. i am leaning more towards a bloody show with something minimal and people will still be astonished.

you do have to admit though they build fancy looking devices. at least to some extent.