MacBook Pro or Dell XPS13

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Alright everyone, I am looking for a durable ultra portable but fully capable laptop, I am not interested in tablets. Battery life is very important to me, as is speed and efficiency of the machine in general.I will be using Windows 8.1 64bit on either machine I buy, I am currently looking at the Retina 2015 13" Macbook Pro with 2.9 I5, 16GB of ram, Intel Iris 6000 and 512gb SSD, or the Dell XPS 13 which only has a 2.7 I5, 8GB of ram MAX, Intel 5500HD and 256GB SSD. The battery life on the MBP is reportedly generally over 10 hours, while the dell is hovering somewhere between 7-8 hours. Money is not the issue here, and I am not a Mac fanboy by any stretch if I buy this MBP it'll be the only apple product I own. I am looking at this purely from a hardware standpoint, I am currently leaning toward the Mac because the specs are just so much better, and before anyone asks the ram isn't really super important I doubt I will ever use 16GB but I figure if I'm buying a laptop which has soldered ram chips I'm just going to get the max the machine can offer so that It never becomes an issue in the future. Also I may occasionally play World of Warcraft on the machine though not often, which machine would handle that better as well? Thanks everyone

Solution
The macbook pros battery is utterly amazing. If you need battery life, I wouldn't go with anything but a mac.

The dell does have touch though, depending on if that's a necessity. I'm also not a fanboy, my workstation is still a windows, but for portability the macbook is great. Just make sure you can get all the software you need for it, or consider getting parallels to run windows in a VM.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
The macbook pros battery is utterly amazing. If you need battery life, I wouldn't go with anything but a mac.

The dell does have touch though, depending on if that's a necessity. I'm also not a fanboy, my workstation is still a windows, but for portability the macbook is great. Just make sure you can get all the software you need for it, or consider getting parallels to run windows in a VM.

Solution