Macbook Pro or Windows 8 laptop

PsycoCollie

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
So my hp dv6 is nearing the end of its life time, and its almost time to get a new laptop. Right now im trying to decide on what to get. Ive considered the 2012 macbook pro 2.3 i7. Some others ive looked at include the asus n56jn, which is pretty powerful, but has windows 8. Ive also looked at the asus q550lf. For me an optical drive is a must. This laptop will be for high school and possibly collage. Some things im looking for is no bad overheating problems, as my current laptop overheats in about 3 hours for youtube on 1 screen and firefox on the other. Around an hour of minecraft. It has 512 megabyte 5650 graphics and an intel i5 at 2.5. I will do some gaming, mostly minecraft but maybe some others that may be more demanding. (doubt it though). It must also be able to run photoshop and do some video editing. I also do some python programming. If i get the asus i will get it new, but if i go to the mac i will have to go to ebay because of price. Is ebay a bad idea? I really have no idea. I would prefer a dedicated graphics card so i was looking at the 15 inch. I have experience with computer hardware, as i have built a custom desktop for my dad. I know this is a mac forum so i expect people to say macbook pro but im interested why. If you have any other suggestions let me know, but it cannot be a dell. It also has to be around 1k. Im open to any ideas you may have. We have macs at school and i LOVE them. With minecraft i would like to be able to possibly record (thinking about starting a youtube channel) and would like to be able to use a decent shader pack. I think it can handle it, as on node gaming they used a mbp as a cameraman computer with a shaderpack on. I also am not too big of a fan of windows 8, but if it comes down to it i can deal with it. Im sorry this was so long, and thank you if you read the entire thing, and PLEASE reply.

PsycoCollie

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
I will be doing some gaming, such as minecraft and possibly more intensive games. I think the macbook pro can handle it but im not sure about everything else. I will also need to be able to do photoshop and video editing. My budget is around 1k. It needs to have decent portability and a decent battery life.

PsycoCollie

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
As i said before, an optical drive is a must for me, so that wouldnt really be one i would pick, a possibility though. Are the cyberpower fangbook's any good? The cheaper evo ones? What about the digital storm javalin? Are they good?