Make OpenOffice Work For You

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoPro

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
"Getting rid of the splash screen requires the user to edit an ini file? Yeah that's user friendly."

Wow! It took me all of 15 seconds to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS and get rid of the splash screen. I bet even you could do it if you try!

"MS Office gets a bad rap because it's written by Microsoft - it's that simple.”

I'd used MS Office for many years and have a paid for copy but quit using it many years ago when I found Oo_O. Inferior to MS? I think not! I was help desk at The University of SC for quite a while and the biggest problems we had arose from MS software. And yes we had all the competing software at that time. And trying to get help from MS was like pulling teeth even though we were one of the largest users in the state. There is a reason M$ gets a bad rap. I detest them!

“Open office takes long to open (because it's Java), and it does have a small army of bugs to deal with."

Takes long to open? Dunno, took less than 10 seconds to open after removing the splash screen. I have yet to find bugs in oo.o to the extent we had them with MS.

Sounds to me like lack of knowledge and sour grapes[?u] on your part, is that why you are anonymous?

G

My only problem with Open Office is that it has no email application. Sorry, I'll have to stay Outlook.

PhotoPro

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
"My only problem with Open Office is that it has no email application. Sorry, I'll have to stay Outlook."

Ms outlook is an independent program and comes with windows. It is not a very good mail program and there are many alternatives to using it, mainly Mozilla Thunderbird comes to mind and I have used it for years. The extensions make it expandable and give it many capabilities which Outlook doesn't have, including being able to use either Lightning a calendar addon or Sunbird a stand alone calendar which is the one I use, simply because I can shut down Thunderbird and still have a calendar and alarm system. Check it out, you might like it.

By NOT being a part of Oo_O you have the ability to use any Email program you want and it works from Firefox, and from Oo_O whenever you want to send an email from a web site or send a document you have just completed to someone without saving or leaving Oo_O. this can be done from any module in Oo_O, whether it is Base, Impress, Writer, or Calc.

As I said, check out Thunderbird and if you are still using MSIE check out Firefox, also from Mozilla. And no, I don't work for Mozilla, I just use the software and have since Firefox was Phoenix, then Firebird, and finally Firefox, which is many, many, moons ago.

Cheers
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.