make sd card as storage to run game on laptop

Bryan_69

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
I'm trying to run a game like WOW on my laptop, but the laptop doesn't have the storage capacity. Can I store the files, and run the game from the SD storage? if so, how?

Solution
You can run WoW from an SD card, but you will need a SD card that is large enough so that you can install WoW on it and have enough free space for temporary files that are created when you play the game. I assume a 64GB SD card would be enough, but you need to see how space the game takes up on your hard drive and tack on several GB for the temporary files. Sticking a SD card into the SD slot will show up as a separate storage drive in Windows.

You will most likely not be able to simply copy the files over to the SD card. You would need to uninstall the game, then reinstall it on to the SD Card.
You can run WoW from an SD card, but you will need a SD card that is large enough so that you can install WoW on it and have enough free space for temporary files that are created when you play the game. I assume a 64GB SD card would be enough, but you need to see how space the game takes up on your hard drive and tack on several GB for the temporary files. Sticking a SD card into the SD slot will show up as a separate storage drive in Windows.

You will most likely not be able to simply copy the files over to the SD card. You would need to uninstall the game, then reinstall it on to the SD Card.

Solution
I recommend you purchase a "Class 10 UHS-1" SD card which can have pretty fast read / write speeds, but the Class 10 UHS-3 has better performance.

Here's an "average" Class 10 UHS-1 64GB SD card:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-UHS-I-Memory-SDSDUNC-064G-GN6IN/dp/B0143IIP4W/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1491693364&sr=1-2&keywords=64gb+sd+card

Here's a more premium Class 10 UHS-1 64GB SD card with a little higher read / write speed:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Flash-Memory-SDSDXPA-064G-X46/dp/B007NDL54C/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1491693998&sr=1-6&keywords=64gb+sd+card