Making my Laptop into a Desktop

theklag

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Ok first thing you might say is why do that? Well I have an Area 51m that has done nothing but overheat from the time i bought it three years ago. The warranty just expired and after countless calls to tech support and visits from their repair guys it still would run about 10 minutes before over heating.

So since its still a pretty nice computer 3.4 ghz and 1 gig of ram, i figured i'd try and modify it into a desktop with some extra cooling and it might once again work. I bought a Black Enlight Slim/Low case and have modified it enough to get the motherboard of my laptop into it. The case comes with a drawer from a slim cd-rom that I would like to use. Only issue is that the connection for the cdrom to the mother board does not line up with the drawer. So I need a cable to connect the two, but i have been unable to find such a think and the folks at the local build your own computer store are more then worthless since they tell me they don't do laptops. All i have been able to find in the way of cables are conversions boards and cables to connect a laptop cdrom to a desktop mother board.

So all in all, I need a cable to connect a slim laptop cdrom drive to a laptop mother board. Any help here would be most appreciated.

phamily

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
hmm, assuming that computer store guys know how to convert a laptop into a desktop makes you JUST as worthless as they are. Laptops were never meant to be turned into a desktop. Now, knowing that you bought an alienware laptop tells me you wasted a **** load of money. Since you were willing to buy an alienware laptop... why not just build a nice desktop for a fraction of the cost of that laptop. Now.... by overheating im guessing you're talking about getting really hot. You can just buy a nice laptop cooler by thermaltake and live with that.

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
So what kind of cable is on it now?

I would suggest you look at some of the MINI-ITX Websites because some of the builders there use laptop CDROMs and such because they take up less space. One of their favorites is the Slot Loading DVD Player. I am guessing that they are using the standard PATA EIDE laptop connection which has power and the IDE connector together. I know they make conversion kits for Laptop Hard drives. Try looking some place where they sell lots of cables or they sell Mini-ITX Computers.

Typically you will see a 44 pin connector on laptop hard drives and/or CDROM. It just takes a converter cable to split out the power cables.

2xjtn

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Nice Project! Of course this can be done, look here:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=1274&bih=577&q=slimline+sata+cable&gs_upl=936l5451l0l5593l19l14l0l3l3l2l932l4704l0.2.3.5.1.1.1l13l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10502252276148447581&sa=X&ei=7g9nTrL-JobhiALCyKGHCg&ved=0CEIQ8gIwAw[/url]

Best of luck!

JN