Malware Could Have Played Part in Plane Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

treefrog07

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
The cyber-wars have spilled over from financial and sex crimes to murder. More cyber-warriors needed with the proper authority and armaments.

G

if they ever track the creator of the malware they should spend the rest of their lives in jail.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]Why on Earth were they running Windows?? For this kind of thing a Unix based system would be a far more suitable choice.[/citation]

Better question, why are they connected to the internet? I would think that everything should be kept local is possible for security's sake. If they can get malware they can get hacked.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]Why on Earth were they running Windows?? For this kind of thing a Unix based system would be a far more suitable choice.[/citation]
Agreed. I expect some thing this critical would probably be running off the shelf Unix (ie HP UX,etc) or custom openBSD OS.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]Better question, why are they connected to the internet? I would think that everything should be kept local is possible for security's sake. If they can get malware they can get hacked.[/citation]

Very true. Although I could imagine a situation where such systems would be connected to an off site centre for backup purposes, data analysis, offsite administration etc.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]SHadoW703793[/nom]Agreed. I expect some thing this critical would probably be running off the shelf Unix (ie HP UX,etc) or custom openBSD OS.[/citation]

Exactly. Is Windows even certified for mission critical applications? I know Apple specifically says that you should not use OS X for systems that are safety-mission critical. It says as much in their EULA (Section 8 in the Snow Leopard EULA). Looking at the Windows Server 2008 EULA, I can't see anything to that effect.

Common desktop operating systems should not be used for safety/mission critical applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.