Malware XPocalypse Looms for Windows XP Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

chang9905

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
How is Windows 7 and Windows 8's core software unchanged from Windows 95? Of course, you'd need the source code to verify, but I highly doubt that anything is untouched from those days.

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
So much hatred for this old but good OS. I still use it one of mine PCs, and guess what with no anti virus I am just fine! Also I have seen enough vista and 7 machines that have so much malware (3 rows of search bars in just 1 browser just for starters) that makes the pc unresponsive/inadequate . My point- the real danger is because of the "USER" and not the OS by itself

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Some of the most rock solid theories to use software is to ALWAYS use the second-last major version of a product untill a new launches.

Say ... Windows Vista launched, but you still used Windows XP SP2 (x86).

Then, after a few years worth of updates, you can bet Windows Vista SP2 (x64) fully patched is faster, more stable and less prone to crashes/freezes, etc than Windows 7 at launch.

Repeat scenario for Windows 8. It just launched, good, it's a perfect time to start using Windows 7 SP1 x64.

The last doesn't mean the best. And it's been proven time and again.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... there is a unofficial service pack rof Windows 98 that last was updated in 2006... so i believe, because XP is still popular and the install base is bigger then Vista and H8 combined, there will be community and antivirus vendor support...

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
This article is nonsense. I have been using XP SP2 for ten years and cannot remember the last time my PC was infected and I have never bothered with security patches. A good anti-virus program and HiJack This! is all you need to keep your PC clean. And a bit of common sense - ie don't download anything from a non trusted source.

The truth is most people presently have a pirated XP copy and don't update their system so nothing will change after 2014.

Heironious

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
@Ianpc,

That is a foolish attitude to have as ANY "trusted site" can become hacked and compromised (haven't you been keeping up with the news?). A lot of viruses are indeed, made for third party software AND outdated windows. Hell, for all we know Tomshardware could have been compromised by a virus that is just waiting for a certain version of windows that hasn't been updated to protect against said hack. No such thing as "common sense" when third party software is involed.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
XP has been refined to SP3 ala a corporate server market. It's great, tested, stable, updated, supported, the best OS ever created. The only problem is MS stopped supporting it to encourage Win7 upgrades. Outside of 64bit, it 's the best OS that has existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.