Malwarebytes says that Rapidvideo is riskware

mangaman

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
So I've been reading online that Malware-bytes premium blocks Rapidvideo. They said that it was associated with riskware, and uses your browser to mine cryptocurrency. Before downloading the free premium trial for Malware-bytes, my CPU never spiked above 20% when watching videos through Rapidvideo's sever's. I do have NoScript and Ublock Origin with VERY strict rules, so maybe thats why?

When I did check the free limited trial for premium, I was surprised that Malware-bytes blocked the service. The program even blocks the website, and says its a trojan. Is this a false positive or legit? Going to need a few answers on this situation.

mangaman

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
The script only occurs when the player is loaded, and stops when the tap/page is closed correct? I do have NoScript on strict settings, so is it possible that the mining script was never loaded?

USAFRet

Illustrious

For me, there is no application good enough or unique enough to use it if they do shady stuff like that.
Whether my machine runs it or not, the basic corporate policy is wrong.

mangaman

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

Nah, I won't be using that video host anymore. I'm glad the free premium trial from Malware-bytes caught that. Might actually consider buying it now.

mangaman

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

Yep I completely agree. I won't be using their video host anymore. Really sucks that this issue is on the rise.