Man Arrested After Leaking Pics of New Pokemon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The Cyber Police back-traced it! He done goofed! Consequences will never be the same!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Unless Japan has drastically different copyright laws I simply cannot see how this will stand in a court of law. They are simply pictures and as far as this article goes he did not sell or attempt to sell them. It should be under the fair use laws because of this factor.

While not in this certain case I can understand that in some cases it may be understandable
to get upset at leaks of information or pictures before the official release on some things however the act of simply releasing such is simply not criminal. It should just be a lesson learned and to be more careful next time.

If this guy actually gets convicted than it just goes to show you that copyrights are now more
important than human rights. If we are willing to jail people even though it fits under fair use what next?

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]erictaneda2[/nom]I think this is what we would call misappropriation of trade secrets. If someone took a picture of Apple products and specifications sheets before release of some product, and publicly released it, they would be in trouble under the trade secrets law. Companies have the legal right to designated certain internal information secret (even if intended for near future release), in order to bolster its revenues. This is closely related to the right of privacy. If trade secrets were not recognized and anyone can take information from anyone and publish it, then there would be far less incentive for companies to invest in developing innovative products (since anyone can come spy on them and get the benefits without making the same investment). It also has implications for privacy rights of individuals, one thinks this through consistently. Do you really want it to be legal for someone to poke tiny camera through your walls, take pictures of what goes on in your house, and publish it on the Internet?[/citation]
I imagine the CoroCoro magazine would be liable for the trade secrets thing you speak of... this man just took pictures of the comic that was leaked early. I find it hard to believe that pictures violate copyright law though o.o

If they were scans I might understand more, but it was just from his phone. I mean, if I find a funny ad in the newspaper or on a billboard and take a picture of it am I liable for copyright infringement?

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Chikusei City police " i choose you Sekiguchi!"

guess japans laws are different from american as he didn't make a profit from it.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]thekurrgan[/nom]It seems to me that they should invoke a law stating that once something gets out like this, especially on media thats going to be published any way, its public domain at that point. Seriously, charging a guy for copyright BS because he took a picture of a comic book with his cell phone. Take this for example, lets say he had a photographic memory, and simply drew them free hand.. Going to start arresting people for drawing now? Screw big companies and their copyrights and patents, all they do is stifle innovation, creativity and keep the small people small. Screw the institution that enforces and sets the rules in such a fashion to promote such greedy philosophies. Screw the people who believe in said institution, with such narrow minds and no concept of long term thinking sometimes called forethought. Screw the RIAA while I'm on the subject, and just for fun.. screw you too.[/citation]

lets say the guy was a spy with a photographic memory and he saw the plans to a brand new super high tech nuclear submarine, and he went back to his country and drew the plans out, and his country actually produced said submarine before the country of origin.

lets say the guy had a photographic memory and sold/gave away the picture he drew to a rival company who rushed to publish a new cartoon series featuring the character the photographic memory guy saw from the other company before they released it. try sorting that one out in court!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Geez, i'm still stuck on 150... how many are there now? A Kajillion?[/citation]

there are 151 good ones (the origional)
there are 150 that are pretty ok, with a few notable mentions, a few good enough to rival the origioanl, and so on
there are 150 that are pathetic with a few gems with ever fewr dimonds in the rough.
and the rest, if there are any left over, belong in either the garbage or elseware.

the origional pokemone were great, with few wtf ones
the second set had improvements, but more wtf was there because realy, they were running out of ideas
the thirs set is where they botemed out,

i dont know if there was a 4th or not, but i cant see it getting any better, only worse, with less than 10 that are why didnt we think of this 10 years ago ideas.

hotchrisbfries

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
[citation][nom]finboss[/nom]Fool.....Doesn't he know that the cyber police can back trace it? The consequences will never be the same for this poor fellow.[/citation]

He dun goof'd!

princessolive

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
That's all cops do nowadays. You won't see them doing a weekly patrol for burglars in your street, but you will see scouring for copyright infringers. The Goverment etc. is bought and paid for by nameless mega-corps. I'd also like to point out that the internet is now dominated by mega-corps.

sick

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
This cat is one hard dude. He is going to be a shot caller when he gets to prison. No one is going to rape him...

Status
Not open for further replies.