Man Claims DROID 2 Exploded in Ear

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TidalWaveOne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmoo500[/nom]So he can afford a smart phone, but not insurance? What is wrong with this picture?[/citation]

Do you have any idea how much healthcare costs in the US? And that's assuming he can even "qualify" for it. If you have a pre-existing condition, then tough it's often tough luck.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
My guess is someone shot a gun or something flew in his direction and it clipped his ear/phone the cellphone only has a speaker in that part of the phone, and battery must have been intact since it still was working.
Healthcare in US is a joke my guess its going to cost him $50,000 for getting stitches i had a friend who ended up with a broken arm it cost a fortune in US im glad i live in Canada i broke my hand it cost me nothing.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
He found out how short the battery life really was & is now trying to skirt the early termination charges....

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
It's costing you 15% sales tax on that smart phone....

[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]My guess is someone shot a gun or something flew in his direction and it clipped his ear/phone the cellphone only has a speaker in that part of the phone, and battery must have been intact since it still was working.Healthcare in US is a joke my guess its going to cost him $50,000 for getting stitches i had a friend who ended up with a broken arm it cost a fortune in US im glad i live in Canada i broke my hand it cost me nothing.[/citation]

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Tempered glass is under stress... I wonder if it just had something inside the glass that was missed and when he squeezed the phone it cracked...

G

If I thought I was bleeding I wouldn't go into the house to look in the mirror - I would use any one of many mirrors in my car AND I would use that thing called my "hand" to feel my ear and then look at it to see if there were blood coming from it.
This guy is an idiot trying to have an easy pay day without having to work - him and any lawyer that takes his case are the idiots of the world that are bringing the country down.

Dylan80

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Its bullcrap story that he made up..... or like others above said it could ONLY be a battery. And we all know everyone goes and gets the CHINA extended battery for their new smartphones (crapple iphone, android phone, blackberry, etc)

EVERYONE gets the china battery.... is this the first sign that the $5 "better" batteries are actually bad for people? LOL who'da thought?!?!

Dylan80

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
[citation][nom]cracklint[/nom]Last I checked wireless plans with data packages cost 75 to 90 monthly which would be a good start toward a single policy. I had to cut off the wireless plan and cable too afford my family plan to ensure my wife and daughter have coverage. It's all about priorities. I am sure I don't have all the details, but I wonder why he drove to his wife's workplace to have pictures taken first if he needed urgent medical care, why was 911 even called?[/citation]

No... it's not. My badass new smartphone costs $0 to $100 brand new at any walmart of amazon. Then my plan runs $58 (after taxes) for everything, even data.

On the other hand, I don't smoke cigs and the scamming ass insurance health companies want $300+ a month for insurance.... and they only pay half co-pays or whatever.

Plus a cell phone is almost NEEDED if you have a real job.... without a car and cell you are left out of society. Health care is NOT needed for young people like me, especially when its wayyyyyyyyyyyy more than it should be.

PASS... I'll pass on insurance (like 99% of people my age) and pay $75 to my doc when I get sick and need a day from him. And accidents happen yeah, but it isnt worth $200+ a month when I get barely anything in return. Insurnace is a racket, especially car insurance.... only retards dont play that system! 100% legalized racket, HANDS DOWN.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I like how he has time to drive to his wife's work place for photo documentation, but then has to call 911 to be rushed to the emergency room for stiches. This guy is one of the reasons those with insurance have to pay so much in premiums. It's a phone, not a cash cow...man up!

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I am sure I don't have all the details, but I wonder why he drove to his wife's workplace to have pictures taken first if he needed urgent medical care, why was 911 even called?
To make it sound more serious, hence having more chance of winning his case. I call BS.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Alright so if one makes the argument that a cellphone is a necessity (Dylan80) please explain to me how someone who cannot afford insurance *NEEDS* to have a smart phone and pay for internet and texting. Last i herd, a simple flip phone or even a pay as you go should fit that bill. Theres a reason that the stupid will always be poor because when they come across a couple hundred dollars extra and unexpected, they cant wait to spend it on a luxury. I would agree that phones are needed but figure it out and live within your means!

Saitzev

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mot [...] own/3502/1 You can tell from the pictures that the battery is beneath the blown out area on his phone...[/citation]

No actually if you really looked at the picture of them unscrewing the phone you would see that the camera area is around where the speaker is.

A friend has one so yeah.

As for this being an even slight possibility I too call BS. The pics are even less convincing. I agree with the commenter about the guy fumbling with his phone and banging his head into something in the car.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Is it possible the speaker blew (was he getting yelled at?)? Because the phone is so tightly packed the pressure from the speaker popping could have caused the frail glass on the screen to shatter sending tiny shards of glass into his ear, which is a sensitive part of the body. I don't know how much force a tiny speaker could put out. It also could have been the speaker for the speakerphone in the back. Maybe he was listening to music or something... Those are loud speakers for being so small. If he had the speaker on with the phone close to his ear he might have been blocking the vent for the speaker causing it to burst....if that makes any sense...
Anyway....I love how everyone is focusing on the no health insurance part of this story! Lol! I had health insurance through my last job(Target) and it was only 40 bcks a month for me. My family plan is about 190 (4 phones w text and data on two). Now I have health insurance through college that is more but still only 1650 a year. Less than phone....but as someone said about living without a phone is nearly impossible. But...you can surely get a phone for much less than 190 a month!

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
If you look at the picture close up you can see that the break centers around the speaker. It would be very difficult to drop the phone and have it break that way. The screen may still power on but I would be surprised to see if the speakers still worked.

ghaleon1980

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
[citation][nom]mrmoo500[/nom]So he can afford a smart phone, but not insurance? What is wrong with this picture?[/citation]

I see where you're going with it and you have a point, however medical insurance these days costs much more than your average smart phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS