Man Drowns Following GPS Instructions Into Lake

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
It's actually quite easy to fault the driver for this. When visibility is low, drive slower so you have more time to react. It's called "driving too fast for conditions."

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
This isn't stupidity, maybe bad driving. Read the article visiblty was poor. I personally don't know the road, but have driving on plenty of stupid roads that should have signs that shows curves, dead ends, etc... I can see how this happened.

Now don't get me wrong I don't blame the gps either. Just got to wonder why there aren't any signs or some type of guard rails (even those aren't really made to completly stop a vechile they have been known to help).

But it still does come down to the drive. I just think people are being to harsh. I also think this is why all schools should have to teach swimming lol. Really he made it out of the car, but couldn't make it out of the lake. It's not hard to back float. You could have broken legs, an arm, and still should be able to swim back. Unless he was doing 300mph I don't think he was to far away from the shore.

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
He should have watched mythbusters.
Also, why was he driving if he couldn't even see he was driving into a lake?
Try headlights... or if you really can't see, just pull over and take a nap.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
A sad story and I feel for the family but in no way is this the fault of technology or the GPS. It is 100% the drivers fault and maybe a little of the passengers too for not expressing concern to the driver. If you cant see slow down, if conditions are bad slow down, if you dont know where you are be more attentive and cautious and dont stare at your GPS screen trying to figure out where you are while drive down an unfimiliar road ever let alone at night.

Getting there late is better than never getting there at all. As crule as it sounds its another Darwin Award Winner.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
glad i can swim. was it a rented car? will the GPS company refund the deposit? i think i am going to try this with my fish house this winter and see what happens at the boat landing when i tell my friends the stripper looks like celebrity x/ 2 kegs of beer just showed up/fish are biting just as a snowstorm is about to hit!
one of them is named darwin, should i make him the award presenter? this could be fun!

mel_gibson_

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
"Unfortunately, the situation probably would have culminated in the same tragic accident had his friend directed him down the road."

And if the friend had directed him, the friend would be liable. Same thing for the GPS company.

Status
Not open for further replies.